$6.06 Jerk string

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

$6.06 Jerk string

Postby petrotk40 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:25 pm

I stopped by home depot at lunch today and bought the ingredients for a jerk string.

75' braided rope with winder: $3.58
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-32-in-x-75-ft-Diamond-Braid-Camouflage-Cord-64042/203200549#.UnAIL_kqh8E

36" Bungee Cord: $2.48
http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-K-35-in-EPDM-Rubber-Tie-Down-8535-24/100199271#.UnAJjfkqh8E

I removed one S hook and tied the rope to it with a bowline knot
http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline/

I measured out 5' of rope and added a loop using an Alpine Butteryfly loop
http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/

I added 3 more loops 5-6' apart.

I plan to use a zip tie or clip the loop to the depth adjuster on my deeks.

I'm going to crimp the other S hook closing it into a loop. I plan to run an old mojo dove stake through the loop and bury it to the T handle in the mud.

I'm not sure how durable the rope will be but it should last at least through the season.
petrotk40
hunter

Re: $6.06 Jerk string

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:58 pm

I like this, might copy it but I need to use something weighted instead of a pole I think. I want a jerk string for a certain slough I hunt but I think it is too deep to wade in and stick a pole in the ground. I would like to make one where I could toss it out and pull it back in without having to get into the water.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

You could use something like Rig 'em right uses. I might end up getting an anchor as well.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine-raider-3-lb-folding-grapnel-anchor/pid-10903?N=283850192&Ntt=anchor&Ntk=All
petrotk40
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm

I am afraid that might get caught on a root or something on the bottom? Maybe a low weight dumbbell from Wal-Mart...like 4lbs would do the trick?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Yes a little dumb bell would work. Remember, you aren't pulling the ducks 3+ feet.. You just wanna get a some movement.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:35 am

i use a brick and push it down into the mud. Just lost it due to a bad knot. Luckily have spares.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby MuddyWaders » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Hello,
You can use a coffee can filled up with cement and set an eye hook in the top. Hook one end of the bungee to the eye hook and the other to your line and run your stringer of decoys using large snap swivels used for fishing. If you want to go the extra mile paint the outside of the can with rustolium paint. Use the large size coffee can. Makes a great weight and its cheap.
Happy Hunting,
MuddyWaders
In the eyes of a tyrant the patriot is a terrorist...
We need to vote politicians who bribe voters out of office...
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.. Aldo Gucci
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Just buy the academy brand jerk rig. Only 14$ just bought one
txhunter90
hunter

Postby sparelink » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:I like this, might copy it but I need to use something weighted instead of a pole I think. I want a jerk string for a certain slough I hunt but I think it is too deep to wade in and stick a pole in the ground. I would like to make one where I could toss it out and pull it back in without having to get into the water.

How I make mine is a little different. I take 3-4 feet of black surgical tubing 3/8" I then feed braided decoy line through the tubing. Once through on one end I tie a loop with the tubing a cord together. This holds it all into place. Then I will stretch out the tubing 2-3x in length feeding cord inside the whole time. One stretched I tie a knot holding the cord and tubing In position. When releases this will coil the cord inside the tubing. Now you have a loop on each end. One for a weight or pole and other for you pull line, I use an old penn reel with braided fishing line.

As for a weight I took 3 16oz pyramid fishing sinkers and zip tied them together a few times. I have never had this walk on me.

I usually just half hitch decoys to the main line then throw it out. When time to pick up. Pull the cord to get the line tight inside the tube and it all pulls free. Never lost one and never have troubles pulling it up.
sparelink
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm

File this under KISS. I've always found that rigging one of those things in the dark to be a bit of an unwanted (and unnecessary) hassle in the dark. Hunting salt marshes with 6 to 8 foot tides also causes problems with jerk strings. The need to be big enough to allow for the tide and small enough to operate. What I've done is to effectively double rig a decoy. First, I rig it with the normal anchor and line. Then, using a fishing clip, I attach a heavier (1/8 inch camo) line to the keel in the same place as the anchor attachment. That line is run through a section of 1 1/2 or 2 inch black iron pipe about 18 to 24 inches long that has standard electrical conduit bushings attached to each end. When you run the line back to the blind and jerk the string, the block will tip up like a feeding duck. The more you jerk the more the wave action. It's self adjusting as far as the tide change is concerned.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Screen door springs aren't as strong as the black bungees, wont break down from UV exposure, and wont get stiff and brittle in the cold.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby bass3859 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:12 pm

I hunt primarily from shore without a blind, just hide in the brush or throw something together. I have found that my jerk rig line will rise up out of the water when I pull on it. Don't know if it really makes a difference

One thing I added was a homemade concrete weight of about 5 pounds. I cut a 2 liter soda bottle off about halfway, filled the bottom with concrete and added an eye bolt. I attach a carabiner to the eyebolt, then as I let the cord out to my spot, just in front of where I am sitting, I attach the line to the carabiner and drop the weight in the water. If the bottom is mud, I will just step on it a little to sink and secure it, and it holds the line at or just below the water's surface. Haven't used it in a rocky bottom, so hoping it will hold tight.
bass3859
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:30 am

Damn, 6 dollars and 6 cents damn. I would have been all in at 6 dollars, but...
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting