Bobbing duck decoy

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Bobbing duck decoy

Postby Freezer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:19 pm

I was thinking of making a bobbing duck decoy for my jerk string set up. I was thinking of placing an eyelet under the bill wirh some fishing line down to the jerk swivel. Have you seen one made. Am I on the right track?
Freezer
hunter

Re: Bobbing duck decoy

Postby TEXMEX » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:57 am

freezer, during the summer months, I work on DIY stuff for the season, I can afford buying these items BUT its much more rewarding when the items you use are yours,even if its a copy.I used a small drill bit in the beak ran the line thru it with a knot then i used one of my wifes little 3 lb weights wich i painted mud/water color it sits under the deke with a swivel then i run the decoy line to my boat or the blind. He digs his beak into the water when pulled or you can yank several times and he creates motion to your spread like no other. I keep him in a seperate bag.he wraps up easy.and he has put many ducks to there final flight.Especially later in the season..... :thumbsup:
TEXMEX
Newb

Postby Skye Bustin' » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:28 am

Texmex, do you have a picture of that. I've been thinking of doing the same thing lately.
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Postby Cold Feet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:03 pm

I experimented with this idea with some success. Just a noose around the kneck tied off to the keel, in water, with one finger, pull downward until the decoy is vertical. Pinch the harness and tie an overhand loop. I position it in the middle of my feeder butts and other deeks in proximity. Looks like the real deal and finishes ducks
In war, the only sure defense is offense, and the efficiency of offense depends on the warlike souls of those conducting it.
General George S. Patton
Cold Feet
hunter

Postby DuckJames » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Not sure if this works with your jerk string, but I saw this old post and tried it. Worked like a charm. Decoy has to be big though. Some decoys I had it wouldn't work on.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=132140
DuckJames
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:48 pm

I have the same setup. I had a friend weld an eye bolt onto a slab of steel so it weighs around 10 lbs and I have the string going through that to an eyelet underneath the decoys bill that I screwed in
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby quackattack77 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 am

This is one I made out of an old crutch, some kite string, a split ring, and an ol flambeau decoy, recently I turned it into a jerk string by tying loops in the kite sting and attaching more deeks with swivels. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quackattack77
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:58 pm

Get about an 18 inch length of 1 1/2 or 2 inch iron pipe, threaded on both ends. Screw on a plastic conduit bushing on each end. get about 100 feet of 1/8 inch braided line and tie a black snap swivel on one end. Attach the snap swivel to the front anchor line attachment at the decoy's keel. Run the line through the pipe and back to your blind. Drop the pipe in the water so that one end is directly under the keel or a little forward and the other end is facing directly back to your blind. If you're really fancy, make two feet out of rubber and paint it to look like feet. Attach them to the back of the decoy with some waterproof glue. Give a tug on the line and the block tips up like a feeding puddler.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:11 pm

OH I like! A stake for my jerk string and a feeding duck too! Thanks! :thumbsup:
Freezer
hunter

Postby quackattack77 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Freezer wrote:OH I like! A stake for my jerk string and a feeding duck too! Thanks! :thumbsup:

To me or frank??

vegetarian- noun - Native America word for 'bad hunter'
quackattack77
hunter

Postby Freezer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08 am

You!
I hunt the refuges so weight and space matter. A crutch is light, adjustable, a stake for the jerk string and can be used to wrap my jerk string around. I can find crutches at the local junk store for cheap! I have a handi caped friend and with a little thought this could work well for him as a walking aid. A removeable circle on the bottom pinned in place like a ski pole. Oh the posibilities.... :bow:

My thought is to use the crutch as the end anchor of the jerk line. The end of the six foot bungie will be near at ducks bill. The line will then continue down through an eyelet and back to the blind with swivels for other decoys and feeder butts. A few shaker butts to the side and and you have set a banquet in the calm water .There's no reason you couldn't use two crutchs per jerk line. That would add a change of direction I've wanted instead of all my motion in a strieght line. All in an easy to carry package. In fact with a couple clips I can attach them on top of two bags of decoys to form a more solid raft for the other gear I take to the blind. With more thought my MI buddy could have a bag in front and one behind thus two hand rails between the bags. Oh the posibilities... :grooving:

The decoy! Moto ducks have removable feet! A pair of feet! Drilled and glued into place would splash more water and give the orange feet in the air!

Dag nab it now you got me thinking :huh: I'm gona get a head ache :no: Then I'll take some asprin and get an upset stomach :help: Why couldn't you have posted this before the end of the season :mad:

:beer: :beer:
Last edited by Freezer on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freezer
hunter

Postby quackattack77 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:22 am

Finally!! Someone who appreciates the opportunities!! I'm only sixteen and none if my friends hunt so I had no one to share my ideas with untill I found this sight!

quackattack77
hunter

Postby Freezer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:24 am

I'm old enough to be your grandpa but always appriciate good ideas. Yours is great! I make decoy cart out of joggers strollers and trailers then give them to older boys than me who have a hard time putting their waders on. I made PVC flip covers for the pit blinds and made numerous shaker decoys for motion on calm days. I have a cart I can load with a shoulder bag, two bags of decoys, sled, moto ducks, waders, shotguns and my jacket and still be pushed it with one hand or towed with a bike. My bike has baskets front and back so I don't need a trailer if I go light. I also have an inflatable canoe I made into a layout blind.

Think LAZY! Work during the off season to take all the work out of having fun!

You don't have to go big but motion is very improtant when there's compatition. My blind looks different. I carry coots and an egret. I use water motion (wakes) and the moto duck sparingly. I believe more ducks are save by bad calls than bad shots. Two jerk lines with a dozen mixed feeders, bobbers and swimmers will look real good. A couple shakers and other mixed ducks and it will look like the closed zone.

Your crutch idea has me thinking. A very versitle and practical devise.

Now, I'm going to remove the keal and botton fo some leaking decoys. I'll change them into island shells. I'll be working on a motion system for them this summer also.
Freezer
hunter

Postby quackattack77 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention I do use two crutches!! I made one with a sprig decoy and split the line. It runs the two head bobbers and 4 full body floaters plus 3 butt feeders!!

quackattack77
hunter

Postby Freezer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Yea now we're talk'n. I was cleaning my duck gear and couldn't stop thinking about the posibilties. I can get a pair of crutched fo $5. Feeder buts mixed with swimmer decoys, two lines with different species, holy duck. The best way to bring in ducks is tomake it look like the closed zone. Lots of motion. The fact that I can wrap my cord around it and keep it simple! :bow:
Freezer
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting