Layout Boat Ideas?

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Layout Boat Ideas?

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Hello,

I'm looking into building a layout boat for big water use. I'd like to install an electric motor, maybe with foot paddle steering. it'll have to have enough room for myself, decoys, ammo, and a day pack. Not sure if I want the dog on a layout... ? I've built boats before, so I'm comfortable with the construction part. I'll use glass over ply, as it's the easiest and cheapest. I'd also like it to be as light as possible... I've thought about using a skin rather than ply... but I'm not sure that'll hold up to the abuse I'll put it through.

I've never hunted from a layout boat, and I don't know anyone who does. They're not very popular around here. I've never even seen one. So... that said, anyone have any ideas on where to get plans, how to pick a design, etc?

Thanks

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Re: Layout Boat Ideas?

Postby Griffond » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:15 am

Here is a link to a free set of plans if you want the better ones you have to pay for them but they are cheap anyway

http://www.hybridduckboat.com/files/index.php?id=20
Griffond
Newb

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Buy a 4 Rivers and never look back.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:38 pm

I'll put my Hybrids up against a similar-sized 4 Rivers any day.

You can choose - either you like to do stuff yourself an find it satisfying or you can buy something someone else built.

Another set of plans is called Marsh Monster - search around and you'll find 'em.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:13 pm

Deleted
Last edited by lostknife4 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:32 pm

lostknife4 wrote:My Dad was a Master Carpenter and one thing he liked to do along with building Jewelry boxes and Grandfather and Grand Daughter and School clocks was building boats. Many of which I assisted in their building and I believe he enjoyed more building them than actually using them. Even though I am semi retired and have almost all his wood working machinery I don't have the time to build any boats although I still have some sheets of 20' x 4' Marine Plywood that Dad had bought many years ago. I do have the plans for a duck boat that I would like to build so maybe some day I will get a start at it.
I bought a 4 Rivers because I like duck hunting and fishing more than building boats so at this time in my life it's more of being a user than builder. This 4Rivers is a great boat and I'm happy to say it has fulfilled my expectations for the purposes that I wanted it for and it didn't take me a couple of years to build it LOL.
You're right about it being very satisfying building your own so maybe someday soon I will start on my wooden duck boat the plans are from Gator Wooden Boat Plans in SC, bought in March 2011, and the model I chose was the "Duckhunter" 14'-7" 2 man duck boat.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Mugz you may want to use GatorGlide on the bottom for protection as well as ease of propulsion.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Well I definitely can't justify buying yet ANOTHER boat to add to all the junk in the yard... building one I can get away with. Plus I like the idea of customizing it.

I've got a few things on the go now though.. I'll be needing new foam core and possible transom work on the main rig... she's been abused for 22 years! . The spring snow goose hunt is coming up in less than a month, after that is fishing.. and then ducks again... so who the hell knows what I'll ever get done around here !

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:27 am

Here is how a electric trolling motor was stern mounted and foot peddle controlled. Austin kayak carries the foot peddles. You could do the same mods to a gas motor.
http://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/kayak-trolling-motor-stern-mount/
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mugzwump » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:Here is how a electric trolling motor was stern mounted and foot peddle controlled. Austin kayak carries the foot peddles. You could do the same mods to a gas motor.
http://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/kayak-trolling-motor-stern-mount/

That's great man! Pretty close to how I was thinking of doing it... only I'm thinking about rigging the motor up impeller style and using a thrust deflecting mechanism ( or a plain old rudder).. which would allow me to cruise in super shallow water, and run it up on shore without hanging up the motor foot... doubt I could do that with a stock electric motor prop though...

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Mugz, As soon as you start talking about a big water layout boat, my thoughts don't include marsh boats for big water layout hunting. Missed Again mentioned Marsh Monster layout boat plans, another option is Waterfowl Works that sells the original Paul Busick Lake Erie layout boat plans. Big water layouts are usually towed or hauled into position by a tender boat. I remember seeing pictures on The Duck Boat Homepage of someone who had mounted an electric trolling motor on a side motor mount and used it to get around.

One other option might be building a sneakbox like the Zack Taylor Widgeon. This style of boat has been used for a lot of years as an open water layout boat. There is probably not another small duck boat out there that can rival a sneakbox or boat for seaworthiness and versatility from open water to marsh boat. Devlin has plans for both planing and displacement hulls. There are plans in Successful Waterfowling by Zack Taylor for the Widgeon displacement hull boat.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:23 pm

noweil wrote:Mugz, As soon as you start talking about a big water layout boat, my thoughts don't include marsh boats for big water layout hunting. Missed Again mentioned Marsh Monster layout boat plans, another option is Waterfowl Works that sells the original Paul Busick Lake Erie layout boat plans. Big water layouts are usually towed or hauled into position by a tender boat. I remember seeing pictures on The Duck Boat Homepage of someone who had mounted an electric trolling motor on a side motor mount and used it to get around.

One other option might be building a sneakbox like the Zack Taylor Widgeon. This style of boat has been used for a lot of years as an open water layout boat. There is probably not another small duck boat out there that can rival a sneakbox or boat for seaworthiness and versatility from open water to marsh boat. Devlin has plans for both planing and displacement hulls. There are plans in Successful Waterfowling by Zack Taylor for the Widgeon displacement hull boat.

Thanks noweil,

I guess I haven't quite figured everything out. There are spots I hunt where I would definitely have to tow a layout, but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. Maybe just as a second option it could be fun. I could always launch the layout from my main rig as well...

By big water I meant open lakes and bays.. definitely wouldn't be wanting a layout in BIG water... but thinking about it mostly i'd be using it for the marsh, which is fairly large and open. Normally I'm in the duck boat or a 16 foot canoe... the reason for the layout is I find the canoe to be uncomfortable for any longer than a half day.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:39 am

Mugzwump wrote:
Thanks noweil,

I guess I haven't quite figured everything out. There are spots I hunt where I would definitely have to tow a layout, but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. Maybe just as a second option it could be fun. I could always launch the layout from my main rig as well...

By big water I meant open lakes and bays.. definitely wouldn't be wanting a layout in BIG water... but thinking about it mostly i'd be using it for the marsh, which is fairly large and open. Normally I'm in the duck boat or a 16 foot canoe... the reason for the layout is I find the canoe to be uncomfortable for any longer than a half day.

Mugz.

Thats what I like about my 4 Rivers, stability! I can stand up and walk around its small, relatively speaking, cockpit which I could never do with my canoes except maybe the 28 foot freighter used for float fishing the Miramichi Salmon river.
I bought the Migrator model and wanted it for spring fishing and I really should have waited for the EBADs however the Migrator does all I wanted it to do. I have a cut down mast MinnKota and a 2.5 hp Yamaha short shaft that I use on id depending on conditions but no problem to stand up to start the Yam even though it can normally be started lying down and reaching back over my shoulder.
I have had it out in some not so nice choppy water but over all I feel is light years ahead of a canoe and hides easier than a jon.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:18 am

You know I just took at look at that Migrator 11, at that price I wouldn't be saving myself much by building one out of wood and glass.

How did you get it delivered and what did shipping cost?

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Hal boxed it up in a big cardboard box and the shipping to Calais, Maine on the east coast USA wasn't excessive but Hal arranged all that. If I can find the invoice I will IM you with it. I then went down to Calais, about an hour and a half drive and brought it back across the border thru Canada Customs. Hal included all the Documents for the boat so it was an easy process thru customs.
What I really like about this boat is that I can step out of the Lund SSV-18 into the Migrator and the stability is immediately apparent, no where near as tippy as the 16 foot canoe! Call Hal and he will give you a price for shipping, it's better if you have a ship to address stateside but of course you already know that I suspect.
Lost

The 9.9 Yammy is for the barge but the 4Rivers has the cut down MinnKota about 40 lbs thrust but will push the boat thru the marsh quite well. Not as good as a longtail but it sure is quiet!!!!!!!!

Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Well that is pretty neat! lol.. yea I'll admit hunting from a canoe isn't exactly comfortable... even though I've spent a great deal of time paddling, whitewater etc, and I can flyfish while standing and drifting in current... but you throw in a dog and maybe a hunting buddy and while everything is going on at once shooting and splashing... well the gunnels have seen the underside of the lake more than once! I do like the portability of a canoe but that's about all it has going for it, besides being stealthy.

My buddies we're down on the weekend and we pretty much decided to re-do the blind on the main rig this summer, so with that going on I will not be building the layout this year. But that 4 rivers is awesome.. going to check that out for sure.

Thanks,

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 pm

Going to have a canvas "tent" made for this this summer, get the colour closest to a big rock and maybe do a bit of a paint of tress , grass etc on it.

cover-tech.com is the manufacturer and not far from my location too!

Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:50 pm

That raft is a great idea! The duck barge... lol. love it.

I don't have any pics of my rig on hand... but it's pretty much like these.. actually if I'm not mistaken that's my merc way off in the background. That one up front I think is bigger than mine, that one looks to be a 26' and mine is only a 19', and I've done mine in camo a lot like that second one and have some blind supports installed. Maybe once the snow melts and I can dig it out I'll post some pics. These we're built by a joint venture between Yamaha and the Cree's of Quebec, back in the 80's into the early 90's. Built for seriously big water, heavy loads, they're mostly flat bottom hulls except for the bow, you can full throttle them on a plane out over 7 or 8 foot swells... though I won't say its a fun thing to do. :eek: They're also unsinkable with foam core around the top of the gunnels, mine was also built with Kevlar lining and is "supposedly" bullet proof... not sure about that one.. lol.. sure as hell ain't testing it out! But I've rammed it into a few rocks with minimal damage besides chipping the gel coat. They do weigh a ton though, I can just barely flip mine over alone... but it's a real struggle. Best thing is you don't need a boat launch!

Mugz

Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:53 pm

If I'm not mistaken that's my merc banging up against that rock!! LOL... I think this photo was taken maybe 10 years ago. My boat hasn't been up there in at least that.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Now that is a BOAT, probably a LIGHT SHIP would be a better description LOL. I'm sure this would take a lot of rough water.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting