Duck Hunting Forum banner

Soft Mud solution for a bank hunter.

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Lurch4004 
#1 ·
I am having trouble in the ponds moving through the soft mud bottoms. I also need a portable blind for concealment. What do you guys think of a truck inner tube wrapped in canvas? (kind of like those for tubing behind a boat.It could work as a seat on the bank and then I could paddle it out to retrieve ducks/Dekes. Or is there a good blind chair that won't sink in the mud.
Also what do you guys do for a portable blind? Metal stakes and fabric?

#2 ·
I have used a inner tube in my younger days and I will tell you this: 1 they can be unruly and you ca end up in the drink a life jacket is wise. 2- It is easy to tip back just far enough to have pond water go down your waders. 3. never tried using it as a blind. 4.- It is much easier and safer to find a cheep used float tube from some fly fisherman. gl, Jon

#3 ·
They make factory float tubes that are better than a truck inner tube. But they are unstable like mentioned and you definitely need to practice with them before season. Places like these are where those little jon boats work very well. As for hiding, wear camo that blends in and sit on a bucket or the bank and don't move. You will be amazed where you can sit out in the open and have ducks land all over you if You Don't Move or Stare at them! The art of hunting has been lost by so many in todays world.

#4 ·
I guess I wrote that in a confusing way. I am looking for a portable blind idea. Something light enough to carry in a bit. The tire tube Idea I meant for retrieving decoys and ducks.
The water is no deeper than 3-4 feet but I'm having trouble walking in the muck of the bottom, my knee is giving me trouble. I thought it would also make a good seat for sitting in the marsh. I guess it could be unsturdy for paddling, anyone use an inflatable for duck hunting?

#5 ·
Hybrid Prototype (google it if this interests you)

8 ft long, 3 ft wide - Weighs about 50 pounds. Easy build - 2 sheets of plywood, some resin and FG cloth.

You can sit in it or on a bench seat across the gunnels. A dolly cut short and ratchet strapped to it helps lugging it around...your gun, decoys, and lunch go inside the boat.

I had an inner tube with a seat and hated it. I also know a guy who had a truck inner tube with a board tied to it for a seat. He carried that and a paddle around with him everywhere. Worked okay I guess. The little boat is more suited for what you want tho.

#7 ·
If you use float tube or truck tube, 1st and foremost, take to tire shop and find the biggest boot aviable, fill tube with foam blocks and then have them patch it(boot). You don't want to get one to go down with you in it in waders, been there done that and can tell you you don't want it to happen. 3-4 pieces of 1/2'' emt cut to lenght, depending on how soft the bank is, cover with camo mesh and pick up some local limbs or grass to attach to it. 2 poles in front, 2 on each side to give you cover. Run a nylon strap onto poles before attaching netting to help hold up front and sides between poles. Paint poles before using (camo).
Good luck

#15 ·
several guys here use kayaks. (sit on). they really like them and can get a lot of stuff on one. Academy has a good one, like 11'6'' for under 400. They use them at the ship channel in Galveston to go to little islands. Put the dekes in a bag and float it across. They fish on the way back. I'm going this yr.

#16 ·
For the silted in ponds, we use layout blinds on the banks and use a fishing rod with a big top water plug for retrieving birds. Like a pencil popper, strike king sex dog, or a one knocker Zara spook.

For decoys we use the big barbless treble hooks used for snagging Spoonbill here in Oklahoma. If you can't get barbless, just crimp the barbs down. If you don't use barbless the hook will get stuck in your decoy line, if you use cloth line.

Otherwise the small layout boat would be perfectly fine.

#17 ·
We use kayaks also, if you don't want to build the boat. You can find some Sit in Side kayaks cheaper and you can paddle out to get birds. We anchor them in shallow water or beach them on brush islands.

Here is my Buddy Greg is his commander, sitting on a shore line and mine in the background on the right. The birds fly right over and in and then we paddle out to pick them up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.