Manually rebuilding a beaver dam

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Manually rebuilding a beaver dam

Postby DuckJames » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:15 pm

On the back of basically the only property I have to hunt, there use to be a very large, nice beaver pond. Well somehow, when I showed up just before duck season this year, the water was gone. Somehow the VERY large beaver dam had washed out and drained almost all of the water. I was very disappointed, but thought those hardworking beavers would have it back in no time. Well, evidently they were discouraged as well because I haven't seen any sign of progress since and I'm thinking of taking things into my own hands. Has anyone ever manually built a beaver dam back up? Should I try to build some sort of levee system? I'm trying to figure out what the best way to build it back up would be (dirt, wood, cinder blocks), or if its even possible. Thanks in advance for any advice
DuckJames
hunter

Re: Manually rebuilding a beaver dam

Postby Lug Nutz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Duck James
Dont really know what the set up looks like if u own the land or what but u3could put u a culvert gate valve system in where u could open and close it before u fill it back up that way u could let water out then plant corn then close it and flood that corn u had planted and have a great season next year.
Lug Nutz
Newb

Postby DuckJames » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:30 pm

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. Its my families land, so I have some say in how its rigged up :wink: . Thats a great idea with the valve. I'm looking it up right now. Thanks bud
DuckJames
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:09 pm

DJ,
I've installed many simple devices in order to control the water in beaver ponds. The device is known as a Clemson Pond Leveler and can be found by doing a Google search on the internet. It is basically a piece of large diameter (8" or bigger) PVC pipe with a 90 degree elbow on the downstream side with another pipe (stand pipe) in the elbow that controls the height of the water inside the pond (inside the dam) according to the length of the stand pipe. To drain the pond, you simply pull the stand pipe from the elbow, plant your crop, allow it to mature, then replace the stand pipe to again fill the pond. All of this is dependent on a water source coming into the pond. I assume that the pond was filled originally by a stream that the beavers dammed up, but high water draining over the dam busted a hole in it. If the beavers have abandoned the pond, you will have an easier time keeping the outflow opening free of debris and the beavers clogging it up. There still needs to be a screen of some type to protect the opening from getting clogged with items draining through it. You would need to cover the pipe tightly with a clay based soil to prevent a wash out around the pipe and another blowout in the dam. Packing the soil as you rebuild the hole/blowout will ensure better success.

Here is a crude sketch of the leveler. A couple of stakes on either side of the elbow aids in keeping the elbow and standpipe verticle.

Clemson pond leveler.jpg

Here is a link to the pond leveler info

http://www.clemson.edu/psapublishing/PAGES/AFW/AFW1.PDF
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby DuckJames » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:30 pm

tenfingergrip

thanks a lot man! That looks perfect. I just talked to a buddy of mine who actually has some pieces for a clemson pond leveler already constructed. I wouldn't say that the beavers have completely abandoned the general area, but this main dam has been untouched for some time. The pond is setup just like you suspected; a small stream flowing into a river that the beavers dammed up (about a 4 foot tall dam). I'll probably end up either hand planting some corn or millet for this summer and then flood it close to duck season next year. I'm sure I'll have some more questions when I get started on this thing, but good to know others are more experienced than me.

thanks again
DuckJames
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:27 am

Sounds like a plan! I assume there is running water from the stream flowing thru the break in the dam? Thats where you want to position the pond leveler. Try to get the pipe as level as you can and brace it level with some steel rebar, or the like, driven into the ground in the form of an X under the pipe, one X on each end. (Wire the x at it's intersection of the two rebars) This will keep the pipe from moving up and down and loosening the soil around the pipe. Cut several different lengths of the stand pipe so you can adjust the water level as you like it.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:14 am

There was a study about beaver dams done in one of the parks and some interesting information can be gleaned from that study. Beavers are attracted to the sound of running water and at first sign or noise from a breach in their dams will try to make a repair. So my solution would be to live trap some beavers, they are experts at dam building, and as in the Park Study place a hidden tape recorder playing the noise of water running to get the repairs done. I would also , since the dam is currently breached, install a Clemson Pond Leveller, should be pretty easy before the beavers arrive......
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:48 am

Since your beavers have not repaired their dam, I would suppose that they have either been killed off or, more likely, have 'felled' and stripped all of the trees in and around the original pond of their bark and either moved on or moved further downstream. They generally construct a series of dams downstream to protect their environment in case they do have a blowout on their main pond. Beavers are quite industrious and will completely repair a blowout overnight. Many times when installing a Clemson Pond Leveler, after I start punching a hole in their dam, I have had them literally swim between my legs to check out where the breach was coming from. As lost said...they are very sensitive to the sound/feel of running water. As a side note, they are said to be the only animal that completely changes their environment to suit themselves, other than a human.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:39 pm

If your question is about rebuilding the dam, then I would start with sandbags.
I agree with tenfinger's assessment of the lack of recent beaver activity. Looks like it's up to you at this point....
mudpack
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:41 pm

You could try to live trap a few beaver and introduce them to their new "home"
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting