Blind Help

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Blind Help

Postby DWRohrig » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:45 pm

we are going to build a couple blinds on a local river for the 2014-2015 season. the issue i have is the depth of the soft mud. has anyone ever tried using cedar trees? i was thinking about cutting either 4 or 6 poles from live cedar trees about 5 or 6 inches in diameter. im guessing we will be sinking close to ten feet in the mud. then between 5 and 7 feet of water and a couple feet to build off of. im thinking 20ft would be safe maybe a little extra but i can always cut em off. didnt know if anyone had ever tried cedar trees before curious how they held up.
DWRohrig
hunter

Re: Blind Help

Postby MarkM » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Will take a lot of hammering to get them into the ground far enough, but it is possible. Are you not able to build up a little higher on the bank?
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:33 pm

I think it would be a lot less work to build it in existing trees than what you have planned.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby DWRohrig » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:52 am

we are building them off the shore a couple hundread yards for diver hunting.
DWRohrig
hunter

Postby DWRohrig » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:30 am

we usually hunt out of the boat or layout boats but this coming season im going to try to do some hunts for some special needs children and i want something sturdy safe and comfortable for them. hunting out of the boat may not be an option and the layouts are definately not going to work.
DWRohrig
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:45 am

Look up plans for a floating blind. It may be the best way to try.

I just don't really have an idea as to the layout of the river you are hunting so I can't offer any ideas.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:01 am

By layout of the river, I mean does it have steep banks?

Can you get down to a flat area on the shore of the river?

Are there trees nearby?

How deep does the river get?

I would still go with a floating blind if you could tow it in on a boat. Just make sure you have plenty of flotation and it is spread wide enough out.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:04 pm

DWRohrig wrote:we are going to build a couple blinds on a local river for the 2014-2015 season. the issue i have is the depth of the soft mud. has anyone ever tried using cedar trees? i was thinking about cutting either 4 or 6 poles from live cedar trees about 5 or 6 inches in diameter. im guessing we will be sinking close to ten feet in the mud. then between 5 and 7 feet of water and a couple feet to build off of. im thinking 20ft would be safe maybe a little extra but i can always cut em off. didnt know if anyone had ever tried cedar trees before curious how they held up.

What about a floating blind system? Use some form of floats and build platforms on that and blind up from that. Sink some concrete forms and use heavy chains or cord of some type as an anchoring system. Make it adjustable if the water level rises or lowers.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:33 pm

Old pontoon boat. Should be able to find one cheep somewhere.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting