Which boat would you hunt out of ?

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Which boat would you hunt out of ?

Postby R. C. Day » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:09 pm

My fishing boat is a white fiberglass, dual console bass boat (V hull) that wont float in skinny water.

I want to build a Hybrid to hunt from in skinny water and transport it in the pickup bed to avoid trailering.
I bought a 6 1/2 hp to build a mud motor for it, but I see the Coast Guard guidelines rates the hybrids at 3 h/p max.
The state requires a motorized boat must be licensed, so the Coast Guard guidelines will catch up to me during registration.

What would you do?
1. Camo the bass boat, travel faster and hunt deeper water.
2. Build a hybrid, power it with a 3 h/p mud motor and travel slower.

Thanks,
R.C.
R. C. Day
hunter

Re: Which boat would you hunt out of ?

Postby greenbean » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Have been very pleased with my hybrid. I carry it in a 16ft jon boat and then stash the jon boat and paddle the hybrid to my chosen hunting spot with a kayak paddle. It paddles well but I rarely paddle more than 200yds.

Assuming you are not able to do this where you hunt skinny water and instead are using one boat at a time, I think a 3hp would be faster than you think. I paddle my 235lbs plus gun, gear, camo burlap, and decoys fairly easily.

I have seen camoed up fishing boats too, but the hybrid will give you the definite edge in concealment.
greenbean
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting