Game strap

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Game strap

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:38 am

Well, wife made it maybe a mile yesterday before calling me to taxi her to work. I figured I may as well stay over there since it would take so long going back and forth. Normally a 50 min drive, but took 2 1/2 hours because of snow amd ice.So I went to sportsmans warehouse right down the road to waste time and walked by the paracord. Got a bright idea to make a game strap. Picked up a few packs and watched youtube videos on how to do the weaving in the parking lot. And after trying a couple different ways, came up with a good way. Turned out pretty good. She said she wasnt surprise I occupied my time on something to do with waterfowl.  :lol3:
Attachments
20140304_075529.jpg
20140304_075614.jpg
20140304_075647.jpg
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Re: Game strap

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 pm

That's pretty sharp!

I like the long leads. On my stupid avery strap the birds are right up by your face if you put it around your neck. Makes walking with awkward.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:03 am

Can you post up a closer picture of how you transitioned from the cobra weave to the drops? Thanks.
finsnfeathershunter
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 am

I did a 4 string core in thr center of the cobra stitch to make it wide. The cobra weave is about 16" long. So I took 2 strands 33" and folded them in half. Put the loose ends at opposite sides. That gives me a loop to tie on the drop downs. I put the loops hanging out a 1/2" or so more than the loose end strings from opposite side. Started the weave just before the loose ends. After getting just a few stitches by starting before the lose ends it kept the center core from moving. Then I took 2 more strings folded in half 36" long. Run the lop through the end loop on the cobra stitch. Pull the loose ends through the loop and cinch down. That gives 4 drop downs on each side. Put a slip knot on rings on the end. I think the picture I drew out will help. I forgot to mention the core string loose ends I melt to the other string to keep them from fraying or moving while im doing the weaving weaving also. Get a 1x6 or 2x6 about 2 ft long and put a nail at the top to attach the starting point loop too. That help keeps it tight.
Attachments
20140305_104442.jpg
The strings are actually touch in the center. I left the gap to show where I stopped the loose ends at.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:59 am

I did a 4 string core in thr center of the cobra stitch to make it wide. The cobra weave is about 16" long. So I took 2 strands 33" and folded them in half. Put the loose ends at opposite sides. That gives me a loop to tie on the drop downs. I put the loops hanging out a 1/2" or so more than the loose end strings from opposite side. Started the weave just before the loose ends. After getting just a few stitches by starting before the lose ends it kept the center core from moving. Then I took 2 more strings folded in half 36" long. Run the lop through the end loop on the cobra stitch. Pull the loose ends through the loop and cinch down. That gives 4 drop downs on each side. Put a slip knot on rings on the end. I think the picture I drew out will help. I forgot to mention the core string loose ends I melt to the other string to keep them from fraying or moving while im doing the weaving weaving also. Get a 1x6 or 2x6 about 2 ft long and put a nail at the top to attach the starting point loop too. That help keeps it tight.
Attachments
20140305_103812.jpg
Drop down tie ons
20140305_104442.jpg
The strings actually touch in the center. I left the gap to show where I stopped the loose ends at.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks for the reply. Your game strap is really good. Never thought to make one that way. :thumbsup:

Fins
finsnfeathershunter
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:05 am

Glad to help
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm

I made one a couple of years ago that was a little different. I made the strap three square knots wide to spread the load on the neck, rather than use the standard single square knot over filler. That's a nice design you've got, but I'd still be a little concerned about the comfort around the neck with a full load.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:17 pm

I thought about that. I had thought about doing two rows and a wrap over both. But im a skinny feller that wears lots of clothes, because I get cold easy. So I figure, Ill have plenty of padding.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting