Blind for flooding riverbank

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Blind for flooding riverbank

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:24 am

Wanting to build a blind on a hotspot on a large river near me. The bank is sandy and shallow and has a long point running parallel to the river downstream which creates an eddy and lots of grass flats. The point is a perfect area for a blind, but the river can run high in flood season and I am wanting to build a blind that can handle the flood without being swept away. Is there anybody that has built a blind like this? I've search the forum and haven't come across any that are built to withstand a flood. Thinking maybe leave some gaps between the floor and walls in some areas to let water flow through the blind? Would this help? Any ideas?
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Re: Blind for flooding riverbank

Postby MarkM » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:58 am

Easiest way would be to use a boat.

We have a couple of blinds on the river, situated just high enough to keep from getting washed away. Only way they would, would be if the river overflowed, which it hasn't done since I have been alive.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:04 am

Yeah usually we just stand in the brush on the point or under some trees around there, but would be nice to have a permanent structure that would be more comfortable and easier to hide in. My boat isn't really big enough to put a blind on it, sorry should've said that in the OP.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 am

How close is the brush/trees that you are standing in to hunt?

Also, how deep is it in the area you are hunting?
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:23 am

I'd like to think that if a big river floods, it will be carrying enough debris with it to wash out anything in it's path. Doubt you could build anything to withstand that much force... Buy a bigger boat, or keep standing... I'd hate to build something 'permanent' and have it washed away after the first flood...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:25 am

teddysberna wrote:I'd like to think that if a big river floods, it will be carrying enough debris with it to wash out anything in it's path. Doubt you could build anything to withstand that much force... Buy a bigger boat, or keep standing... I'd hate to build something 'permanent' and have it washed away after the first flood...

Could build a blind in the trees if it is close enough. Put a platform up connected to two or three trees and go from there.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:35 am

The way the point is situated in the river it creates an eddy and is sheltered from a lot of the debris that washes down the river. The other end of the eddy is where all the debris collects. The trees are close, but I don't think they are the right kind to build a blind in the trees. Thanks for the suggestions guys. May just have to try it for next season with the absolute cheapest materials I can find and then if it withstands the season add some more permanent pieces to it.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 am

WVClaysandBassin wrote:The way the point is situated in the river it creates an eddy and is sheltered from a lot of the debris that washes down the river. The other end of the eddy is where all the debris collects. The trees are close, but I don't think they are the right kind to build a blind in the trees. Thanks for the suggestions guys. May just have to try it for next season with the absolute cheapest materials I can find and then if it withstands the season add some more permanent pieces to it.

I would try it with just layout blinds. Haul a pallet out there and put your layout on top of it.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Get some climbing treestands...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:58 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. May try the layout blind idea. I think a permanent blind would be safe from debris that would carry it away. I would think the only concern would be water coming up and getting into the blind.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:02 am

If you want a permanent blind and to keep water out, just build a blind that can fluctuate with the water.

Dig 4 holes in the ground for your corners, place treated 4x4 posts there.

Place a bracket that can slide up and down with the water level on each one for the flooring.

Place some type of flotation under your flooring, ie. barrels, barges, foam (depending on wildlife), etc..

Build blind up and attach to 4x4s as well with brackets.

Brush and kill em.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:40 pm

We use layout blinds to hunt potholes, lake shores, mud flats, river banks, and wetlands. I love the low profile blinds on the edge of the water. We have people build blinds at some spots we hunt almost every year. I think the blinds they build mess up the spots many times. Building the blinds seems more like staking a claim than the best way to kill the birds. I can move my blind where the birds are, where the wind is favorable for me, and where the sun is in my favor at different times of the day and thru the season.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting