Need land management/pond help.

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Need land management/pond help.

Postby God1st » Tue May 06, 2014 9:39 am

So I have access to private land, this piece of prosperity is a few thousand acres near the ohio river, it has one pond that is 1 mile x a few hundred yards and then a bunch of cattle ponds. I'd like to plant so,etching or manage the area around d the ponds and lake to attract more ducks. It also has another lake in the woods that's at least a half mile x 100 yards tha I could damn up the creek that flows out of it to get it to flood again, must be an old beaver pond. Allot of the times the water is empty, it will have allot of coots and a few mallards that spook easy when I get there. With the little I've given you and since you haven't seen it, what few options could I do to better manage the area to make it produce more thank you and God bless.
God1st
hunter

Re: Need land management/pond help.

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Tue May 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Not really any help to offer, just out of curiosity, what state is this in?
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby God1st » Wed May 07, 2014 1:24 pm

It is in ohio.
God1st
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat May 10, 2014 8:44 am

Ever field hunted the pastures?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby jeepman » Thu May 22, 2014 4:08 am

sounds like you have the potential to have a really nice place. if you have that much water on the property you should have ducks. sounds like your spots have something is missing (or not missing i.e. predators) contributing of your lack of waterfowl. I would contact you local DU or delta biologist if there is one close by and show them your spots. they might be able to assess each spot and shed light on what each spot will need to make it productive. I know in NY our DEC biologist will come out to do that in hopes of improving wetland in the state.
jeepman
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri May 30, 2014 7:18 am

Just posted this to give some info that I am neither advocating or pushing. I have a client that recently installed this plant, the Banana Water Lily, in a waterfowl impoundment I constructed for him and we have not yet gone thru a hunting season as of yet. So, the jury is still out. After this season, I may be able to give you a better assessment. In the meantime, here is the post I made for another fella.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=480178#p4878769
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Antis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:10 pm

I do agree with asking your local DU regional biologist, that's what they are there for and they'll have the knowledge of what works in your area. One of the simple things you can do is look around online for commercial waterfowl seed mixes, and plant those around the edges of your ponds. A lot of companies make them. They come with things like wild rice, millet, sago pondweed, wild celery, smartweed, etc. If you get a mix with a lot of the native wetland plants in it, they should be able to keep re-seeding themselves in future years, and you'll hopefully have a good food source in and around your ponds. Good luck!
Antis
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting