Tree blinds

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Tree blinds

Postby jmaddox » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:40 pm

I'm planning on building a couple of tree platforms in a little spot I lease. I guess this is legal. if so, is this generally a good idea or is a ground box style blind the only way to go. What you guys think? Anyone done this and have any lessons learned? I guess the blinds need to be painted or stained? A recommendation for that would be great too! I'm really looking forward to the season. Can't wait. Thanks!

--jm
jmaddox
hunter

Re: Tree blinds

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:36 am

I am pretty sure you cannot hunt waterfowl from a raised platform, except over water like a blind on 4x4's in a pond or swamp. I know its illegal here in Maryland and heard it was in others. I do not know if this is state for Federal law.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:34 am

There's some good threads on this in the Newbie Forum.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:02 pm

We had a tree-house blind in the old Cache River. Four guys shooting downward at ducks was awful hard on my decoys.
I think they burned the blind after I got upset and pulled all my dekes.
Might want to re-think your plan.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby jmaddox » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

--jm
jmaddox
hunter

Postby Hitech2redneck » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:16 am

I use to hunt from a old deerstand lean to that I cut down to be about a foot off the water it worked great for me. I also use to hunt from hollowed out cypress stumps and was very productive. My dad use to hang 55gallon drums in trees and hunt from inside those. But he also used live decoys back then to.
Hitech2redneck
hunter

Postby jmaddox » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 am

thanks for the info guys. GA WRD Ranger I asked said that there wasnt any law she knew of that specifically forbid hunting from a tree mounted platform but she was going to "ask around" and get back to me. If it is infact legal and I can get the lumber down there I might give it a try. all I really want is a 4'x4' platform that I can stand on. I used a "hang on" stand last year. It was OK just a bit small. Ill post a pic if I get it going. now to plant some snacks.

--jm
jmaddox
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting