Hiding in plain sight

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Hiding in plain sight

Postby danieltalbert0527 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 pm

I am new to duck hunting on long island but where I am going I was told I don't need to have a blind. Any tips on how to stay covered and hidden without a blind?
danieltalbert0527
Newb

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Hiding in plain sight

Postby dangduck85 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:02 pm

are you allowed to manipulate the vegetation where you are going? If so the use a machete to cut some cover and build a makeshift blind. If not the other option is to take some portable coverage maybe some posts and some camo netting? are there trees there or just open grass?
dangduck85
hunter

Postby danieltalbert0527 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:16 am

Theres just a lot of high grass and I can't cut it down at all because it's privately owned.
danieltalbert0527
Newb

Postby alanwebfoot » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:12 pm

don't cut down a natural blind unless it's too far to the water then carry in some weave it into a net so it'll blend in better
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby BaconBits » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:58 am

Maybe grab a seat and sit in the high grass??
BaconBits
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:45 pm

Buy grass mats. Sit in a low profile turkey chair and pull a grass mat over you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby bharm16 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:17 pm

I essentially never hunt out of a blind or even bother trying to manipulate or cut grass around me to make one. All I do is tuck back into the grass a little or just sit down right at the edge of the grass and as long as you are wearing clothing similar to the color of the grass the ducks won't see ya. The way I figure it is that the ducks are looking for anything unnatural and burlap or even grass mats look less natural than just you as long as you keep your head down and make yourself as small as possible. Trust me I have seen them all at a distance and it is much easier to spot a hunter behind a grass mat especially one that doesn't exactly match the cover than a hunter just tucked back into the cattails or other grass few feet. Hope this helps.
bharm16
Newb

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:19 pm

bharm16 wrote:I essentially never hunt out of a blind or even bother trying to manipulate or cut grass around me to make one. All I do is tuck back into the grass a little or just sit down right at the edge of the grass and as long as you are wearing clothing similar to the color of the grass the ducks won't see ya. The way I figure it is that the ducks are looking for anything unnatural and burlap or even grass mats look less natural than just you as long as you keep your head down and make yourself as small as possible. Trust me I have seen them all at a distance and it is much easier to spot a hunter behind a grass mat especially one that doesn't exactly match the cover than a hunter just tucked back into the cattails or other grass few feet. Hope this helps.

Yeah not sure where you hunt, but you pull a grass mat on you in the shadows backed into a spartina grass bank, and a person won't even find you. Sit out there in a perfectly camo jacket and it's a different story. I'll put up a pic later to show the difference. Muddy up a grass mat, just like you should do to a layout blind, and you'll disappear.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby bharm16 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:
Yeah not sure where you hunt, but you pull a grass mat on you in the shadows backed into a spartina grass bank, and a person won't even find you. Sit out there in a perfectly camo jacket and it's a different story. I'll put up a pic later to show the difference. Muddy up a grass mat, just like you should do to a layout blind, and you'll disappear.

I have no experience hunting Long Island so I don't know what the grass looks like. Bluesky sounds like he knows what he's doing so I would take his word for it. I have just found that my way works where I live, but don't get me wrong if you know how to use a grass mat there isn't a duck in this world that will see you. I've just seen too many people set them up in spots where they stick out. Happy hunting.
bharm16
Newb

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:42 am

Can't find the specific pic I'm looking for, but here is a section of the salt marsh probably similar to what you're talking about. I find shadows below the grass line at low tide. Sit with your back to the back of the grass, down in the mud, in a low profile turkey chair. Muddy up a grass matt a little, and poof, you're gone. It's worked well for me. Everyone has a different method, but since I'm below the grass line, having grass on me that moves with the wind, and only my face sticks up, I tend to disappear pretty well. It's not the most comfortable, but it'll kill ducks.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:Image

Can't find the specific pic I'm looking for, but here is a section of the salt marsh probably similar to what you're talking about. I find shadows below the grass line at low tide. Sit with your back to the back of the grass, down in the mud, in a low profile turkey chair. Muddy up a grass matt a little, and poof, you're gone. It's worked well for me. Everyone has a different method, but since I'm below the grass line, having grass on me that moves with the wind, and only my face sticks up, I tend to disappear pretty well. It's not the most comfortable, but it'll kill ducks.

See in my area I would tuck into that grass bank about 5-10 yards and disappear. It seems they tend to scan the shoreline, not necessarily all throughout the grass. But hey we all do what works for our specific area.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:05 pm

agengo02 wrote:

See in my area I would tuck into that grass bank about 5-10 yards and disappear. It seems they tend to scan the shoreline, not necessarily all throughout the grass. But hey we all do what works for our specific area.

I wish I could. The grass isn't always tall enough, and when puddle ducks work from above, I've had bad luck with them seeing the pushed down grass from where you are sitting. When I sit below the bank and use the grass mat, my profile is much less distinguishable from out front and from above. On windy nasty days, not as big a deal, but on most days, it definitely helps me.

Now if I had one of those momarsh invisilays, I'd be hunting a whole different way.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:10 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:
agengo02 wrote:

I wish I could. The grass isn't always tall enough, and when puddle ducks work from above, I've had bad luck with them seeing the pushed down grass from where you are sitting. When I sit below the bank and use the grass mat, my profile is much less distinguishable from out front and from above. On windy nasty days, not as big a deal, but on most days, it definitely helps me.

Now if I had one of those momarsh invisilays, I'd be hunting a whole different way.

Nice. I always enjoy hearing how people hunt in their areas. It's surprising how different duck hunting can be all over the country. With deer hunting, you pretty much hunt in the same type of way. With ducks however, it's different even in areas that are somewhat near each other.

agengo02
hunter

Postby Alaska_Skeeter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:46 am

]I do most of my Alaska duck hunting on mudflats or sparse marsh areas.

When I sit I have problems with ducks flaring at the last instant.
When I layout in a plastic sled, they do not flare..plus the sled is handy
for picking up dekes, etc.
[attachment=0]sled_mooseantlers (800x425).jpg[/attachment
Attachments
sled_mooseantlers (800x425).jpg
Alaska_Skeeter
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Alaska_Skeeter wrote:]I do most of my Alaska duck hunting on mudflats or sparse marsh areas.

When I sit I have problems with ducks flaring at the last instant.
When I layout in a plastic sled, they do not flare..plus the sled is handy
for picking up dekes, etc.
[attachment=0]sled_mooseantlers (800x425).jpg[/attachment

^^^^^^^^^^^I use my sled for everything nearly all the time after two seasons with it. less is always more as they say, so a low profile is key and these little jetsleds allow you to lay in little pockets here and there.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Alaska_Skeeter » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:03 am

Yes I think the low profile layout shooting is key.

We have lots of swans in shallow water and I've laid out in a sled
with waders and a white jacket and still shoot pintails and teal at 15 yards
layout shooting from a jetsled while my lab is sitting in his jet sled 100 yards back in the willows.
Pintails_JetSled.JPG
Pintails_JetSled.JPG (71.7 KiB) Viewed 89 times

I also like the jet sled with a ridgerest sleeping pad to keep my lab dry.
After a few retrieves I turn it over to drain. My lab gets to see each mark
and I send him for retrieves when the action slows down. Typically
in 2-4 inches of water there is no rush to retrieve the ducks.
Alaska_Skeeter
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting