DIY waxed canvas jacket?

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

DIY waxed canvas jacket?

Postby brother_nature » Thu May 11, 2017 8:16 am

I'm curious if anyone has tried to wax a carhartt or other duck cloth or canvas type jacket themselves? how did it turn out? does it actually hold up to weather? what type of wax did you use?
brother_nature
Newb

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: DIY waxed canvas jacket?

Postby noweil » Mon May 15, 2017 6:01 pm

I used to hunt with a guy would took some Filson wax and tried to do a cotton jacket. The fabric on Filson gear is a much tighter weave that the other jacket he tried. Failed experiment.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby oldfireguy » Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Wife had camo cotton fabric too heavy for a shirt. I treated it with sno-pruf, and works as well as my filson jacket. Also treated camo Stetson style hat I got from Walmart.
oldfireguy
hunter

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 pm

So I've never done this, but it's on my project list. I was looking for cheap ideas on wind break/waterproof material for use on pop up blinds. I bought Harbor Freight canvas tarps, blocks of paraffin wax, and an old iron I had laying around. You scrape the bars of paraffin wax on the canvas and iron it in to melt. You can see demonstrations on YouTube, looks pretty easy. Some people use hair dryers as well. Anyway to answer your question, I'd use this technique just apply to jacket, hat, or whatever.
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting