Decoy Trailer Flood Lights

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

Decoy Trailer Flood Lights

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 pm

I know there was a topic on this last year but can't find it. There were some folks requesting ideas on installing flood lights on their decoy trailer for setting up at 0 dark thirty. Was packing up for the annual Canada trip and remembered I didn't post any pics at the time I replied. Here is what I did on my 6 x 12 that we use. I purchased a couple of halogen floods from Harbor Freight and installed them inside and above the back doors and attached them so they swivel down for lighting up the field, etc. & swivel back up when not in use. They not only swivel down, but tilt and pivot. I spliced the wiring off the inside top light in the trailer and use an inline switch from the light to the floods so I can have both lights on or just the inside light. Pretty simple hook-up.

Click on image to enlarge
Trailer flood lights 0011.jpg

Trailer flood lights 0013.jpg

Trailer flood lights 0016.jpg
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Re: Decoy Trailer Flood Lights

Postby waterrat2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:11 pm

We did almost the same, However we mounted a double set on each door. That way we could aim the lights by swinging the door more open or closed. We also mounted a Honda 1kw geny to the tongue of the tailor. We use the geny for lights and the electric hedge trimmer to cut scrim for the blinds. Nothing makes quicker work of gathering material like hay, etc for blinds
waterrat2
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:37 am

waterrat2 wrote: We use the geny for lights and the electric hedge trimmer to cut scrim for the blinds.

Typical American waterfowler today.
What can be done with a $15 pair of light, easily packed, no-maintenance hedge loppers should be done instead with $3000 worth of heavy, bulky, high-maintenance electrical equipment.
Don't get me wrong, 'rat; I do the same thing. Doesn't make it any less pathetic when looked at objectively. :huh:
mudpack
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 am

Ain't it the truth! My extravagence is that I pack a small, Baja, Honda cloned mini motorcycle into the front part of the trailer to eliminate the long walk back & forth to the goose field after parking the van & trailer. Sometimes you have to park over a half mile from the set-up. I'm the youngest in my group to Canada every year and I'm nudging 70. Had to do it out of self defense to extend my longevity! Used to arrive wet from sweat, tired and feet hurting! Sure have been a lot more rested & dry in the blind now since adding the cycle 5 years ago! That was a $300 purchase.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:40 am

Mudpack"

My feelings aren;t hurt. I am not 20 anymore, I have learn t to hunt smarter not harder. If the toys are there, might as well use them. Gone are the days of slugging through mudflats and frozen marsh, I love to hunt, I hate to suffer.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:35 am

I hear ya', 'rat.
My way of looking at it is this:
For me, anyway, the hedge loppers are the smarter way, the electrical/gasoline equipment is harder! .... and I'm 65 years old.
Different strokes for different folks, and I tend to be a minimalist. :beer:
mudpack
hunter

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum