shell decoys in a hot decoy trailer?

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

shell decoys in a hot decoy trailer?

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any problems with your shell decoys ( ducks or geese) warping when locked up in the trailer in the off season ( summer) for the fact it gets so hot :mad: f in there? I have a roof vent in the top and keep it open when not raining but im sure I wont always be on top of the things threw out the year..Had some flambeau goose shells awhile back and I stacked them on top of each other and put them in the rafters of the pole barn in the off season and they all bent into each other and look like s*#! now..Now im running GHG ( duck & goose ) shells but have them in 12 slot bags not stacked on top like the flambeau were. In hope they wont warp like the other did. Just seeing if any one has ever had any problems with this inside their trailers and if so What did they do to prevent this from happening to them? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE. :bow:
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Re: shell decoys in a hot decoy trailer?

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 am

I bought a white trailer for a reason... so it keeps a little cooler than a dark colored one. I leave the vent open most of the time though just in case. And I keep it under a tree where it sees shade most of the day. That is your best bet. I didn't have any problems yet. Is your trailer black by any chance?
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 am

Yupp it black..Will have to keep an eye on it..And build a lean to off the pole barn some day..THANKS for the info.
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:08 am

Flameabu shells are prone to warping anyways. we have a doz. we store in our basement shop and it never gets above 70* in there and they all warped, my GHG's and my little brother's redhead shells didnt warp and they are sitting in the same spot.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks..^^^^^^^. I will rest easier tonight. I know flambeau was sketchy decoys ( shells) when I bought them. Didnt know how the GHG shells were..Thanks for the info. Im sure you answered alot of guys questions..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:35 pm

AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER wrote:Didnt know how the GHG shells were...

I have six dozen GHG Mallard shells in my 6 x 10 over summer. I haven't noticed anything wrong with them. I will look this weekend though to give you a definite answer.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:07 pm

I do not have a vent in my trailer. We keep any shells on top of Big Foot Decoys. We run 120 G&H mallard shells 30 to a bag and no problems. In some warm weather States IDK if this will work but in Wisconsin I have no problems. :wink:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks again fellas , wasn't to sure about keepin them in all season long This is my first enclosed trailer and didn't realize how hot it got in there until those hot days we had a month or so back..THANKS AGAIN and have a great season this year..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 am

Another thing you need to watch out for, and I'm at fault, is to remove any 6 volt or 12 volt batteries you may have stored in the trailer to run your motion decoys. I just pulled out the batteries to recharge for some motion geese that I had forgotten to remove after last season. One of the 6 volts was swelled up and looked dangerous to try to charge so I had to ditch it. Was probably lucky it hadn't exploded during all the heat this summer and ruin many dollars worth of equipment.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:59 pm

I have flambeau shells as well. Found that stacking no more than six is best. After that they twist and deform badly. I keep mine in garbage bags to keep em clean.
The newer thinner ones are the ones I dont like. Heads fall off a lot.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:42 am

I arrived to my trailer this weekend. I checked it yesterday. No problems. All GHG shells still have form.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum