Aluminum vs. Steel

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

Aluminum vs. Steel

Postby decoy23 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:42 am

I am look at getting an enclosed trailer. I was wondering if it's worth getting the aluminum or to go with steel? I would be pulling the trailer on gravel roads, fields, and some on highway.
decoy23
hunter

Re: Aluminum vs. Steel

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Better gas mileage with aluminum and lighter and can be pulled with a somewhat smaller engine. .But the steel one can be WELDED up by almost any TOM,**** or HARRY if anything was to break on it.The aluminum one you might have to look around for some one with that expertise. .My opinion would be the steel one..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Re: Aluminum vs. Steel

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:11 pm

decoy23 wrote:I am look at getting an enclosed trailer. I was wondering if it's worth getting the aluminum or to go with steel? I would be pulling the trailer on gravel roads, fields, and some on highway.

Decoy 23; I have a steel trailer and my son has an aluminum Featherlight . Both types have given us good service and get the job done . As Air Traffic Controller pointed out the aluminum trailer has some towing advantages in lighter weight ,better gas mileage. The only downside I see is the increased initial cost . My sons Featherlight cost almost twice what my trailer ran . If cost is not an issue go aluminum by all means .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum