Materials for homemade trailer

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

Materials for homemade trailer

Postby BigBurk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:27 pm

I have been slowly getting more decoys and its about time for a trailer, to go buy a new one is out of the budget for at least a year and I do not want to waste money on a small single axel cargo because even beat up ones are crazy priced here. I have two heavy duty trailer frames one from a large diesel generator and the other from a diesel compressor, plan is to make one of them an enclosed v-nose trailer the other a flat deck. Hopefully I will only have to use it for next season then it can become a mobile storage shed.

For the framework I was thinking of using angle iron for the main frame and plywood to enclose it. I know it will take time to build properly but I need to make what I got work. Any suggestions before I get started, plan is to have it v-nose, rear barn doors and side door, roof vents and foldable bunks for overnighters
BigBurk
hunter

Re: Materials for homemade trailer

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:53 pm

I have a 5X8" flatbed with a ramp and I am considering going the containerized route with it. I'd like to build a box for it out of steel studs and plywood. It the end of the season I'd just pull the whole container off the trailer and the decoys can be stored in it. Then I can build another container for other purposes or just have the trailer available for year round use.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Re: Materials for homemade trailer

Postby BigBurk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Never thought to make it removable, might have to make a full container style for the decoys, half size container for big game/varmint hunting decoys/field gear then i can still load the quad or trikes on the same trailer. I have a 2 ton overhead "crane" I built for removing motors/cabs/truck boxes/ect. and it's easily moved around so removing fully loaded would be easy, and I can always get a skid steer with forks if needed as well. Won't be able to build it as light as a fixed enclosure on the trailer but having multiple trailer set ups would be great, I pull trailers 5-10,000lbs regularly with my diesel so I'm not to worried about it being on the heavy side.
BigBurk
hunter

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum