Trailer Weight Questions

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

Trailer Weight Questions

Postby waveslider » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Hey guys,

I'm upgrading my decoy trailer from a very light-duty 6x10 enclosed trailer to something in the 7x14 or 7x16 range with dual-axles. Mostly to eliminate the hassle factor, gain some height and not feel like I'm playing Tetris every time I pack up.

My question is: Do any of you find that the gross weight of the trailer has much bearing on how much you tear up fields, how much you get stuck, or just generally how much nicer/worse it is? I realize that the law of physics tells me that I'm more likely to get stuck, etc but I'm wondering if anyone has made the switch and it was night and day.

With the little trailer I can pretty much go anywhere. Decoys aren't heavy and if the field is sloppy we generally aren't hunting it anyway. Even if a wheel gets stuck in a pivot track I can just pull it out. Maybe not with the larger trailer but I'm assuming that with the dual axle, that risk is lessened.

I just thought I would ask before I got into trouble. The trailer I'm looking at is around 2200lbs dry weight so I'm assuming its not a huge deal.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: Trailer Weight Questions

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:49 pm

I wouldn't want to pull a big trailer through a field, but you're right about the dual axle helping. If you put the widest and biggest tires you can on the trailer it'll help a bit more. Stick to the farmers roads, a 2200lb trailer wont come out of a mud hole without a tractor. I guess it really depends on how soft the field is.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks for the input. It seems like there are a lot of guys with 7x14 and similarly sized trailers. Are they somehow lighter weight?
waveslider
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:51 pm

I have been running a V nose 16' tandem trailer for years. Total length is 21". I never "dug" up a field. I will stay out of a field even looks to wet. :yes: Look at the size of my trailer.... IT'S BIG !!!!
Attachments
DSCN2723.JPG
War Wagon Trailer
War Wagon
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:05 pm

WW,

That is certainly a rotund trailer. You have any idea what the curb weight is?
waveslider
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:22 pm

War Wagon wrote:I have been running a V nose 16' tandem trailer for years. Total length is 21". I never "dug" up a field. I will stay out of a field even looks to wet. :yes: Look at the size of my trailer.... IT'S BIG !!!!

That's the way to do it. If it looks boggy, keep the trucks out. Getting stuck is a great way to ruin a hunt.

Or at least unhook the trailer and make a few trips with a pickup. Two of us hunt outta one pickup. No trailer, we have 200 socks and 4 dozen full body's, and each a layout.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 pm

No I don't but, Mugzwump is 100% correct on judging a field.. :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum