Storage compartment on flatbed trailer

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

Storage compartment on flatbed trailer

Postby SJR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:00 pm

so I've always hunted using four wheelers, and my plan for this year was to sell my small flatbed trailer and purchase an enclosed one. I did end up selling my small flatbed but I ended up acquiring a Kawasaki mule and fixing it up to use this season and seasons to come. I could not find an enclosed trailer in my price range that was tall enough to fit my mule once I finished rigging it up. I ended up getting a 16ft flatbed trailer and want to build or add some sort of enclosed storage area on the front of it. Does anyone have any suggestions on something that i could purchase for this purpose or any suggestions on ways to build an enclosed area that looks nice and will last? Thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments
IMG_2934 (1).JPG
This is my mule and trailer
SJR
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Storage compartment on flatbed trailer

Postby brownduck » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:31 am

Some guys I hunt with did something along the lines of what you are describing. They built a box on the front of the trailer with 2x4s and exterior plywood to fit all of their decoys in, and parked their wheelers in the back. They painted up the box with some marine-grade paint, and used it for three seasons before getting an enclosed rig. I think they had it bolted to the sides and through the floor with U-bolts.

It worked well, but it was a beast to haul. It was heavy and caught the wind badly. It was better behind a truck with a cap on the back, but even then, it was wider than the truck and still caught the wind. If I was going to do something along those lines, I would make sure it was no wider than my truck to cut down on drag.I would also build a v-nose section out on the tongue to cut the wind some, and for extra storage that won't eat up space in the bed.
brownduck
hunter

Postby GTMODawg » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:17 pm

The trailer you have in the picture would work great. Take a look at "stitch and glue" boat building and build a box on the nose of that trailer with 1/4 inch plywood and fiberglass the seams and the roof and paint it with some exterior paint and it will last forever. You can remove it when you don't need it and have the trailer! I have one just like yours that is 20 feet long that I am building a camper shell, decoy trailer and toy hauler on....all with Styrofoam sheets and 1/4 inch exterior plywood. Round the roof slightly so water runs off and slant the roof (lower toward the front than the back) and it will pull as well as any enclosed trailer. It will be much heavier though so consider that before heading out across a freshly plowed and wet field....you might not get it out of there LOL.

You can also "overhang" the tops of the trailer by about 8 inches (depending on how wide your fenders are) and make shelves for decoys. The only reason to buy another trailer is if you want one...I hate spending money LOL....
GTMODawg
hunter

Postby GTMODawg » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Hey...after looking at your current setup I would build a field trailer that overhangs the tongue of the trailer you have and keep it attached to the mule....I'd back that puppy up on the highway trailer, tie it down and then when I was about to set up I'd simply drive mule and trailer loaded with decoys off the highway trailer and right into the field! The only drawback may be that youd have to be careful to make certain that the weight was at least centered over the wheels of the highway trailer...but it looks like you could probably build a 6 foot enclosed trailer that would overhang the tongue but a couple of feet and still have the weight of the mule over the trailer wheels....itd be a SWEET setup.....design the trailer where your partners can walk along behind you and access the decoys and set them out while you drive!!! I like to save effort and money LOL!
GTMODawg
hunter

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum