lights

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

lights

Postby duckweed » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:42 pm

hey i was just wondering what kind of lights you guys use when you go duck hunting. our youthy season opens this saturday and i need to know what kind of lights to use to get where i have to go. ps hunting public property and out of a boat.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:07 pm

try a big spotlight
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:27 pm

:withstupid:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:59 am

Get ya one of them lights that strap to your head or clip to your hat visor for hands free light. You will need a spotlight to ward off approaching hunters, and, maybe some bottle rockets and a megaphone too :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:32 am

If you're hunting out of a boat with a motor, and plan on using it before sun-up then you'll need navigation lights. Bass pro or cabelas have ones with clamps you can just clamp on to the fore and aft of your boat. They're basically like flashlights with red and green lenses, and a flashlight with a clear lens on a post.

The other thing I would pick up is a head lamp. You can get them pretty cheaply $10- $15. It beats telling someone to hold the flashlight still for the fiftieth time at 4:30 in the morning (I have a short temper). Also, those million candle power spot lamps are great, and you can get them for $10, but they only last 10 to 15 min. tops with a full charge. Those battery powered lanterns work well when setting up too.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby gsphunter » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:30 am

Ducksbeus wrote:Get ya one of them lights that strap to your head or clip to your hat visor for hands free light. You will need a spotlight to ward off approaching hunters, and, maybe some bottle rockets and a megaphone too :yes: :yes: :yes:

I've got a 2million candle power that keeps other hunters away pretty good. It really lights up the marsh good too though.

As others have said too though, those head lights are great. Rigging decoys with two hands is much easier when you aren't holding a flashlight in your mouth and worrying about dropping it.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:01 pm

those something-million candle power lights are great and you can pick them up for a pretty good bargain. Be forewarned: do not let anyone touch the switch whenit is charging. they say the battery will lose it's ability to hold a charge. well mine charged alrigh...but the light won't turn on ounless you hit the swith hard on a cool day when the wind is out of the west or northwest. :tounge: Seriously though.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby hm_palmer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:30 pm

Yeah I just bought a 1 million candlepower spotlight for 20 bucks worked great. A headlight comes in handy too though.
hm_palmer
hunter

Postby greenheader » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:36 pm

I have a 10 million candle power flashlight it really lights up good. :yes:
greenheader
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:00 pm

If you get a head lamp, get a regular old flashlight one not a lcd one. I've got one of each and the LCD one sux. It is good if you are working on something in your hands or up close, but you can't see squat much farther than you can spit.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:07 pm

I bought the Cats Eye light that attaches to the brim of your hat and it lights up the yard well enough to find dropped car keys and used it to see paddling my canoe out of a swampy lake one night after a hunt. Could see out to 40 yrds OK! :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:50 pm

I do all the above but also a small AA mag on a line around the neck.
lawnboy
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:15 pm

1 mill candle light - went hunting and dropped it in the water. didn't notice until we were packing up and found it completley submerged. I hit the button and it lit up. I had to take it apart to get the water out and it stills works great. I did have to remove the small button next to the switch as it prevented the light from staying on unless you really squeezed the trigger hard. That was a month ago.
tstrong
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:33 pm

For a small rechargable light, try the streamlight stinger. They are expensive, (about $100) but they are about 20,000 candle power, I think. This is what I carry on duty and to and from my duck blinds and deer stands. You only get about a 1 1/2 hour out of a charge, but it will light up anything you need to see. I also carry a smaller LED type light in my jacket pocket just in case I need longer batter life. I would guess that the stinger is only about 6 or 7 inches long and will fit in a jacket pocket itself. I use mine on an almost daily basis year round and the batteries will usually last about 1 1/2 to 2 years before I have to replace it. They use a battery stick type rechargable battery that cost about $25 dollars. I have had one that I keep around the house that is going on 4 years now without having to change the battery. However, it isn't used and charged as much as my daily carry light.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby bassinator » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:38 pm

being the insane deer hunter I am, I have a million different lights I use when going into the woods. I believe my favorite has to be a petzl l.e.d. light for a low profile entry, but a surefire G2 will light up the world at 4 in the morning. :yes:
Layin' the Hammer down, one gritter at a time.
bassinator
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:43 pm

duck hunting you need 3 lights.

Spotlight 3 million+
a maglite
and a light that straps to your head
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:32 pm

Greg Wile wrote:I bought the Cats Eye light that attaches to the brim of your hat and it lights up the yard well enough to find dropped car keys and used it to see paddling my canoe out of a swampy lake one night after a hunt. Could see out to 40 yrds OK! :thumbsup:

Damn! i was gonna buy it but i didnt think it would work out that well. I have a Radiovac Nightblaster works great.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Deadeye_youth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:05 pm

greenheader wrote:I have a 10 million candle power flashlight it really lights up good. :yes:

I wish they were a bit smaller in size though little big to lug around. But hey If you ever get lost just shine that thing to space and theyll find ya.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby watchmaker » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:41 am

I use the MAG 951 II (951 lumens) more than a million candlepowers but in a Maglite 3 D "host"

CONES, of CONES-STUFF and BRITISH BLADES did a review of this light recently.
http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/MAG%20951%20II.htm

regards
watchmaker
watchmaker
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:36 pm

got a cats eyes.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:29 pm

Make that a 2nd on the Cat's Eyes.

Rechargeable spotlight when walking in. Plug-in spotlight when in the boat.
--Hunters don't care about nature, but loony animal activists who've never been outside of San Francisco do??!!
--Hipocrisy: People against hunting, but who don't have a problem buying new condos built on previous wetland habitat.
---RIP-Woody-1/26/2010--
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby marcbme » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:47 pm

vah2ofowler22 wrote:duck hunting you need 3 lights.

Spotlight 3 million+
a maglite
and a light that straps to your head

Missing one more light.......a bud light for sitting on the tail gate w/your buddies after the hunt
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby SLIM » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:56 pm

Cat eyes all the way. Hands free!
"A good duck call is like a good woman. Happy is the man that finds both on his short stay on Earth."

- "Duck Commander", Phil Robertson -
SLIM
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:04 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote:If you're hunting out of a boat with a motor, and plan on using it before sun-up then you'll need navigation lights. Bass pro or cabelas have ones with clamps you can just clamp on to the fore and aft of your boat. They're basically like flashlights with red and green lenses, and a flashlight with a clear lens on a post.

no no no.....Red lights show the left or port side of a boat. Green lights show the right or starboard side. The all-round (360) white light (or the masthead light) is the one fixed on the pole. :thumbsup:
texan68
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum