Good waders?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Good waders?

Postby 311hunter » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 pm

Any suggestions on good waders? The main thing i want to know about is whether to get the 3.5mm or 5mm neoprenes.
311hunter

Postby Yamaharcing39 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:09 pm

Definetly go with the 5 mm. I have GanderMountains neoprene 5mm and i like em. The 5mm is more durable and warmer
Yamaharcing39
Newb

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:55 pm

Go with the 5mm for warmth, especially necessary later in the season (here in Maine), and get at least 600 grams in the boot!

Or maybe a pair of waist hi's in 3mm neoprene for the early season. These are great. You get another six or eight inches of depth compared to hip boots and you stay dry when seated. Very convenient and easy to walk in.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckslayer14 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:49 pm

i prefer hodge men breathable waders, neoprene makes me to hot,and sweat. but their a little more pricie, at sportsmans whearhouse you can get a pair in mosseyoak shadow grass for $120, thats not bad compaired to cabelas or macs.
if at first you dont suceed RELOAD
duckslayer14
hunter

Postby Steelheader » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:13 pm

I use 3.5mm up here in Washington and they are great. I don't see the need for 5mm. Had a pair and sold the. Hodgman Brightons are a great pair of waders and come in the largest variety of camo patterns. I have mine in NatGear.
Dam should have taken them on the last pass.
Steelheader
hunter

Waders

Postby River Rat » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:46 pm

If you live in the south and/or go with the 3.5mm. The 5mm are to warm for any walking, wading etc.
River Rat

Postby kilndux » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:50 pm

I have stopped buying neoprene wader products simply because they do not last more than one season. They always seem to leak at the seams. Some of them also "hug" the body too much and have low ass crotches. I currently am wearing a DU endorsed pair of "old school" waders that have lasted two seasons. They are not quite as warm as neoprene but I feel that they will last alot longer and for 75 bux, not bad. I just saw a new style lightweight wader for sale at the local gun store which is thin as hell; they look like they'd be as comfortable as workout pants (windbreakers). Doubt that they would stand up to much abuse, but they would be like wearing nothing at all. I might try them. Has anyone tried these????
I'd rather be hunting.
kilndux
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:38 am

a couple of tips -

to extend service from neoprenes you can wear a pair of uninsulated cotton duck bibs or overalls over them - I have gotten at least four years from my current set

for the Old Style - I actually use these late in the season because I can better insulate with clothing layers - can't layer much in neoprenes
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fowlercon » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:06 pm

I hunt with Cabelas Ultimate Waders-- no complaints so far. Had em for 3 seasons, never been cold. Sometimes I take them up the deer stand with me.
Fowlercon
hunter

Good wader?

Postby Duckhombre » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:45 pm

I live in New Mexico, so my opinion is very biased because of my local climate, but stay the hell away from Neoprene! My buddy got a pair, and they ten minutes before they got a hole in them. No joke, later her tore them wide open- and these were 5mm. Granted, we have to brave Mesquite and about half a million other plants with thorns on them. My waders have stood the test of a full season without a hole- they are Redhead's Trapper 1000 waders. These things are bullet proof. $120
Shure neaprene is warm, but so are the layers under my waders, the bonus is, my layers wick sweat away, can't say the same about neaprene.
Why does anybody use that stuff?
Save our sport-Join Ducks Unlimited Today!
Duckhombre
hunter

The Best Waders!!! IMO

Postby Str8Meat » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:42 pm

LaCrosse Brush-Tuff 1200 5mm. neoprene.
Redhead wader pants. You'll stay warm as toast.
Enuff said.
CAMO UP, CALL EM IN, CUT EM ALL
Str8Meat
hunter

Postby John Hayden » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:09 pm

I do it a little different than you folks.

I did the wader thing for a long time. Every kind.
Neo's don't hold up to abuse.
The origanals have all the dicomfort and walking promblems.

So I have developed a technique that would send most of you home early.

I don't use any thing.

I break ice in my tennies.

Launch from shallow shores in the scull boat.

Sucumb to the little puddle of ice water that gathers itslef in the bottom of the sculler as I'm laying down-wet back.

My wader is a sponge.

After a couple of hours sculling I'm soaked on the back side from my feet to my middle back.

Is it cold?

Hell yes.

But it simply does not matter.

I'm running the oar - and that keeps me warm enough.

With frozen feet and well wishes for you all,
John
50 yds... 40yds... 30... 20..Take'em!
John Hayden
hunter

Postby Jeepman:-) » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:53 pm

Get a good DOG! LOL
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Good Waders?

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:16 pm

I have some Hodgman 3.5 neoprene waders. They have the brush tuff stuff on the outside. I have had them for 3 seasons and have had no complaints or holes. We are hard on our gear and hunt at least twice a day during the weekend. They have held up good for me. I say Neoprene all the way. I would have any other waders tore up after 1 trip.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Daffy's last quack » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:46 pm

i hunt 3or4 days a week for the full 101 days and most of them full days igot tired of 3.5 mill neo so went with cab,armer flex 5m 1000 thin ex on warmth and derable to black berry ,light bobwire i know because i sliped of a cat walk and fell in some and more .pluck thornes that did t make it threw and a couple gashes from wire that didt make it all the way threw bat sher wer close if my old ones ide ben done fore . so the waders ex expeshly warmth the'r just not made fore alot of walking crack on ankles 3 years in row 3 dif pairs so if you dont do alot of walkig [excelant] and cabellas has an ex warinty :thumbsup:
Daffy's last quack
Newb

Return to Hunting Gear Forum