hearing protection

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

hearing protection

Postby ILWaterfowler » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:29 pm

I imagine that this question has been asked alot, but I can't seem to find any information about it. I was wondering if anyone wears any kind of hearing protection when they go out hunting. When I have shot without ear protection before, my ears feel plugged up for several days, then everything gets better. For this hunting season, I was thinking of picking up some of the 7 decibel reduction ear plugs at Wal-Mart because I think they would offer atleast some sound reduction and still allow me to hear people talking while out hunting. Are there some other options? I have heard people say that they wear a plug in their left ear if they are a right handed shooter and just leave the right ear un plugged, but I am not sure how effective it is. Does anyone have any input or experience with any of this? I am just looking for ways to keep my hearing as long as into my life as I can.
ILWaterfowler
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:58 am

I wear ear plugs when shooting or hunting.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:11 am

I have tried both plugs and ear muff style. I much prefer the low profile ear muff style because I can wear them around my neck until I need them. At that point, I can put them on quickly and take my shots. The problem I have with the plugs is I don’t like the way they feel and you can’t insert them easily. The muffs I wear don’t have any electronics, but I can still hear okay with them.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby duckweed » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:38 am

i have a bad problem with my right ear. i can't shoot a shotgun without any knid of ear protection. i know that they are a lot of money, but the walkers powermuffs are well worth it. you can hear people talking like you don't even have them on, and then when you shoot they just shut off and kills the sound of the shot. and go right back to normal after the shooting is done.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby Dogman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:07 pm

I have had Tinnitus in my left year since 1983,a consequence of 3 1/2 years in the engine room of a coast guard cutter.Tinnitus is a constant ringing in the ear,day and night non stop.I wore ear muffs all the time while I was aboard ship in the"Hole" but it still wasn't enough.
I always use foam ear plugs now bcause they are simple,cheap and they work very well.I can still hear everyone around me enough to function well.I haven't had any additional hearing problems or loss since using them.
They aren't as hard to get used to tinnitus is.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ducks » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:55 pm

what I like to do is just put a plug in my shooting ear(It helps a lot) and I also will wear the hood of my duck jacket that helps also.
I had a freind with some electronic ear muffs because he had to have sugery on his ear they were great. he didn't like to wear them (he's kinda stuberon about not needing them) I loved them though many times I'd take his :yes: .
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:24 pm

If I hunt alone I don't have a problem but if I'm hunting with someone I will use a plug in the ear closes to them.
tstrong
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum