Wader life question

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Wader life question

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:53 am

O.K., so how long should a good quaility pair of chest waders last? I have a pair of 5mm neoprene boot foot waders that have started leaking after 3-4 years of use (and not heavy use, either). Bought a new pair of 3.5mm neoprenes, but for $120-$150 bucks a pair, you would think that they would last longer than a couple of seasons. :pissed: I'm seriously thinking of just going back to the old canvas/rubber style...they only lasted a couple of seasons, but they are a hell of lot cheaper. I only duck hunt in them (don't stream fish), and I store them in the basement away form UV light and hang them upside down by the boots.

Any thoughts/experiences?
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:15 am

I have always had the same problem. Although we use our waders like Kevlar. I have had 80 dollar neoprene waders, and 300 dollar neoprene waders. The most time I have ever gotten out of a pair of waders was three years. Im sure you could get more time if you werent so hard on them, but you gotta go where the ducks are. :yes:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:31 pm

Id go low...Im about to start season #4 on sum $90 Hodgmans. If I have ta buy a new pair this year, I will still feel I definatly got my moneys worth :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:04 pm

I expect two years out of neoprene, and if I get three years, I am delighted.

I think a lot of it has to do with the off season. If I treated them with something like armour all, they might last longer.
Last edited by Rat Creek on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:04 pm

I have always been very satisfied with Cabela's products. I have owned some of thier waders for ten years. We have a very long season here and I hunt most every weekend of that season. You do have to watch out for barbed wire fences and the like but aqua seal works great on small leaks. Try some of thier heavy neopremes I suspect you will find the material very tough and durable
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:05 pm

Citori12 wrote:I have always been very satisfied with Cabela's products. I have owned some of thier waders for ten years. We have a very long season here and I hunt most every weekend of that season. You do have to watch out for barbed wire fences and the like but aqua seal works great on small leaks. Try some of thier heavy neopremes I suspect you will find the material very tough and durable
:spam:

I like em too, hunted 3-7 days a week last two seasons, I hike alot on the river, barbed wirefences, olive brush and a bunch of other stuff that could do damage. I have been happy with my 80 dollar purchase. I dont treat em nice either. Cabelas Hip boots.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:12 am

Three or four seasons is pretty good on a set of waders for a waterfowler..... as for the 3 ply, I like them alot not only for durability but because in extreme cold I am able to layer according underneath....neoprenes fit too tight even though it is superior in the warmth issue per se'.........proper maintanance (especially in the off season) is HUGE in getting extended time from a set of waders. Over time, if you buy more than one set year to year you can get different styles and camo patterns! I like the waist his right now - especially instead of hip boots.

One 'trick' to get more life out of general wear on neoprenes is to use a set of uninsulated bibs or coveralls over them. I got a set of canvas bibs in camo for about $20 and they take alot of abrasion wear out of the equation.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lawnboy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:33 pm

I'm happy with three years. I always seem to snag them
lawnboy
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:48 am

I very happy with 4-5yrs. Now.........since I've gotten the PEETS boot dryer, the insides have stayed much more intact. I have Cabela's ultimate wader....and this is my thrid yr. No leaks .........yet .......knocking on wood, and very little wear. I'm always pleased with Cabela's and their service and products. :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:10 pm

How fast does it take the peet dryer to work? They have one for 100 bucks that says it'll take about an hour.
tstrong
hunter

how to care for waiters in the off season

Postby rlh9606 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:28 am

I was wondering how waiters should be stored for the off season? I am still in school, so the investment for a new set of waitors was taxing for me. I would really like to see them last until I get out of school. Any help?? :umm:
rlh9606
Newb

Postby tstrong » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:26 pm

If they are neoprene I store them in a plastic Glad bag or I keep them in the house. This will prevent them from drying out.

I also have the breathable type and don't really know so I keep these in plastic too in the off season. This is my 2nd year with these.
tstrong
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum