Hunting out of a Cornfield

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Hunting out of a Cornfield

Postby Spencer5100 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:16 pm

Hey,
I am new to these forums, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm interested in hunting quackers over cornfields. I've been looking at G&H Mallard Shells because theyre a little cheaper than GHG's, would two dozen be enough? Also, does anyone have blueprints or plans for a homemade layout blind? I dont have the cash for a name brand layout.
Thanks
Spencer5100
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:46 pm

i've just got done building 2 homemade layout blinds. i made mine out of wood, it is pretty heavy. if you would like the info on how to build it i will give it to you. didn't konw if you wanted one that heavy, it is to heavy for 1 man.
there is a garbage can blind plan
http://duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.ph ... ighlights=
scrool down and find it under my name
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Spencer5100 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:56 pm

thanks much, ill look into both of those. I was looking for a frame wiht PVC type, but the wood might work
can anyone help me w/ the decoys?
Spencer5100
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:38 pm

My advice is to use G and H shells as they are large and easy for ducks to see in a field I would probably add some goose decoys for confidence also.. The bigger the black spot on the ground overhead birds can see the more interest you will get.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:09 pm

We had ducks tryin ta land in our snow spreads last year :yes: :yes: Early in the morning, or, on cloudy days, painted socks would probably help fill out a spread. Throw in a few home made campaign sign silos and some magnum dekes...the more the better :yes: :yes: :yes: Ive never tried it, but, weather proof a sleeping bag with a tarp...lay on that sucker with a camo sheet over the top of ya...maybe a backrest, and, brush up a bit ...never forget your face mask and or paint :thumbsup: My season dont open for another 24 days :tounge: :tounge: :tounge:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby poacher » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:34 pm

My first experience with hunting corn fields...i was about 6 years old with my grandmother, we didnt have any decoys, or a blind. We dug a pit to sit in and pulled the cut cornstalks out of the ground, flipped them over and stuck them back in the ground. The roots caked with mud acted as our decoys, she of course did the calling. it was very productive...now i use about 18 dekes, a mojo, and fill the spread using the stalk and mud decoy. I still prefer to hunt from the pit. gets em every time.

If the flooded field is frozen, punch a hole in the ice, stand near the hole to put pressure on the water beneath, the water will flood the ice surface, now set your dekes directly on the ice. The small amount of shine from the surface water is all you need to get those birds in.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby Spencer5100 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:00 pm

i have an air lucky, i was looking at the flambeau grad magnum w/ convert a heads, has anyone used these?
Spencer5100
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum