Shell tubes on coats

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Shell tubes on coats

Postby Evil_McNasty » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:08 pm

OK, I have had a few good waterfowling coats,parkas, 4n1s, etc. But I have never had one of the ones with the shotgun shell tubes down both sides of the front. Is this a nice feature, and do they stand up to years of use? It looks like most of the newer models do not have the feature, so was it a poor design?
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby wspiller » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:26 pm

I have never used mine, just seem easier to reach in to my pocket
wspiller
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:15 pm

I think you are referring to the Columbia design. Feel free to correct me if more than Columbia has it. While I don't own one, I have wanted one for quite some time. My brother uses an upland vest with the tube, or what Columbia calls the quickloader. He enjoys it, and it can free up space in your pockets for other things. Just like elastic strips, I'm sure it stretches some. How much is the question. I have found Columbia products to be quite good through experience. Even if they are somtimes pricey. You can get deals on 'em, but either way i think it
d be worth it.
It may be on my next jacket if that means anything to you.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby ralphtt » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:57 pm

How do they work? What holds the shells in the tube?
Ralph
Patron Member NRA
ralphtt
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:41 pm

The tubes are just fabric, at the bottoms of the tubes there are small plastic tubes about 2 inches long and split. The shells slide into the plastic tube and the rim of the shell holds it in place until you pull it. I usually put shells in there but forget they are there. I dont consider it the most useful feature. But it is nice at times.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Sorensen » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:30 pm

I have a coat with the tubes. I think it makes it getting an extra shell in alot quicker, if you know they are there which took me a long time to remember. It is quicker because you don't have to worry about your hands getting caught in your pockets. Just my opinion.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:39 am

shell loops are dumb. when you miss as much as I do, you just get a fanny pack full of cheap x-perts and let'm have it.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:36 pm

Limit of ducks is 6. I need maybe 15 shells.
Limit of pheasants is 3 I need maybe 5 shells.
Limit of dove is 15 I need a box and a half I carry in a shell vest
I am not sure I would need a place to put more shells than in my coat pocket.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby kms399 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:41 pm

i have the columbia coat with them and i dont use them. i always forget they are there it is not a bad idea. the rest of the coat is awsome its like magic. i throw decoys (alot of decoys) and dont sweat but then i can sit all morning and be toasty warm and very water proof. my advice is to not worry about a coat with the tubes buy a coat that has all the other features you want, waterproof, warm, breathable, zipout liner. most of all durable. and if it has the tubes you are fat city. just my .02
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:24 am

So it doesn't sound like anyone has the opinion that they will wear out. I had concerns that the plastic tube catches at the bottom would wear out and start dropping shells, or just plain fall out and make the whole thing useless.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Beluga » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:01 am

I've been using the columbia parka with the quick loader tubes and I really like them. If I can remeber to keep the tubes full, It's very handy for me to be able to pop another shell in quickly. Mine also came with an insert for 20ga. in addition to the 12 ga. Only complaint in 2 years is a snpa broke, otherwise a good coat.
Beluga
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:09 am

That is very cool you never miss and never have cripples. I spent 8 shells trying to clean up one cripple last weekend. Its not the norm but it happens. :oops:

Citori12 wrote:Limit of ducks is 6. I need maybe 15 shells.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:13 am

Citori12 wrote:Limit of ducks is 6. I need maybe 15 shells.

I don't think it's a matter of numbers of shells, it's a matter of loading speed. I know I've fumbled and dropped a few shells over the years when trying to spin them around in my hand to point them in the correct direction to go into my magazine tube. You always know the direction of the ones coming out of the jacket quickloaders.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Spencer5100 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:22 pm

i use mine sometime, its held up, but im usually rushed and put them in my pocket.
Spencer5100
hunter

Postby mmalino » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:23 pm

they hold up real well, matter of fact i've had the jacket for 4 years and its still looking new :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Team Rainmakers
"We supply eBay with the bands you buy"

Go White Sox!!...hell with baseball its football season
mmalino
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:28 pm

I use them pheasant and quail hunting. The shell is easier to grab but sometimes they do not feed through the tube and you may need to help it. I do not have one on my duck jacket.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Franchi » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 am

wspiller wrote:I have never used mine, just seem easier to reach in to my pocket

:withstupid:
Get Down ! Get Down ! Here they come.
Franchi
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby Citori12 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:51 am

As they say to each his own...some things work better than others. As far as cripples are concerned dogs work really really well....Getting shells out of my pocket where I keep them is not a chore... There is no need to fumble with shells if they are always where they should be and grabbing shells and reloading has never been a big deal.

Pheasant score: 2 roosters 3 shells
Last duck hunt 1 widgeon 2 shells
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Dogman » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:27 pm

I keep my shell holders full with a few loose in the pockets as well.I like the convenience of having the shell ready when I want it and I can refill the shell holders from my pocket.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum