need new water proof gloves

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

need new water proof gloves

Postby 870 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:44 pm

I’m looking for the best waterproof gloves out there can anyone help?
I’ve tried the neoprene ones, they don’t last me very long. Has anyone tried the sealskin (sp), if so what do you think of them? or if you have some other type I would like to know ? thanks
:thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:20 pm

I still think the neoprene is the best way to go. Gortex is good, and will keep your hands dry, but when it get really really cold, and the are wet, they will crack on you. never tried sealskinz, I like my neoprene gloves, i have a good liner in em and they feel like normal gloves, I can even shoot and call in em just fine, and I cant do that in any gortex gloves.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:56 pm

DONT GET SEALSKINS! THEY LEAK LIKE CRAZY!
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:15 pm

:withstupid: Sealskins make my hands freeze, and it didnt get below 20 last year but one time.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Gloves

Postby fishorwife » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:17 am

I used a pair of gloves that came from Maine. They are orange and the same gloves that lobster fishermen use. I have no idea where to get them. They last forever are warm and do not leak. Maybe google and see if you can find.
fishorwife
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:40 am

Thanks everyone, keep your thoughts coming.

Neoprene gloves I can tare apart in a couple of weekends with the number of decoys we put out and pick up, especially for divers.

fishorwife, I believe I have a pair that you described, mine are black and are put out by Joka Polar. Great for working with the decoys but I can’t shoot with them on. Also trying to hunt all day with them on you have to take them off for this or that and before you know it they’re wet inside

So my problem lies in finding gloves that I can hunt in. Something that I don’t have to keep taking off and putting back on, I thought Seal skinz was the answer.

Thanks, I’m not a rich man I can’t waist money on what doesn’t work.
:thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

gloves

Postby TommyToeDrag » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:31 am

i use lobsterman gloves as well that are orange and they are the only thing that is totally waterproof. they are the best! no doubt. dont waste your time and money on anything else for waterproof stuff, cause it doesnt work.
TommyToeDrag
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:59 pm

I'm real anal about keeping my hands dry and warm. I had reconstructive surgery on one of my hands after getting it caught in a machine shop saw. If my trigger hand gets a really cold it locks up on me and I'm off to the truck or wait it out.

I carry a couple if not three pairs of gloves. I have a fairly inexpensive pair of neoprene decoy gloves lined with fleece. Then I carry two pairs of gortex insulated shooting gloves. These are real nice gloves. Every few years I get a new pair and hang on to my old pair for days when my gloves might get wet.

Just a thought.
Good hunting,
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:06 pm

my seal skinz leaked and my hands froze off. wingset.com has the best warmest gloves for setting decoys. then i have some cabelas gortex shooting gloves with the lycra trigger finger. the waterfowl catalog has the heavier warmer shooting gloves. there not on the cabelas website.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mud duck » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:22 pm

Seal Skins leak. I have a pair of thin gore tex gloves with thinsulate. You can reinforce them with aqua seal if they ever show signs of wear. I have never heard of Gore Tex cracking in cold weather. I've been skiing and hunting with it for years and never had any problems.
mud duck
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:32 pm

gortex, seem to be the way to go thank you guys so much :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum