decoy anchor mold

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

decoy anchor mold

Postby hightech1953 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:15 pm

does any one know where to buy anchor molds from?
hightech1953

Postby dkhntr » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:58 pm

I believe Cabellas has them in their catalog. Either that or it was Macks prarie wings. I cant remember.
Lawn sprinklers save your grass...
Fire sprinlers save your ***!
dkhntr
hunter

MOLDS

Postby LEADHEAD » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:46 am

CABELAS HAS SOME. USE TO GET THEM FROM HERTERS, BUT THEY NO LONGER EXISTS. CALL CABELAS OR WING SUPPLY.
LEADHEAD

Postby shoot em in the lips » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:49 pm

wings supply in greenville ky has strap molds, i personally use a router and make my own molds, just use scrap 2x4's, i get them from construction sites, they just give me the scraps. wood molds dont last long but its cheap and easy
shoot em in the lips

Postby 2rivers » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:40 pm

If you know someone who is a machinist design your own molds for your specific needs and see if they can make them for you.
2rivers
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:25 pm

well ive used muffin tins...and those aluminum coated cupcake paper thingys.... just put the cupcake thing in the muffin tin..and pour full of lead.... they pop right out when cool..and the aluminum will peel right off the lead...if ya want an eye or anything can twist wire..and put it in the mold before ya pour in the lead.......PS...LOL..ya gotta use the cupcake paper tho...heheh tried one without them and the lead sticks hard..LOL..beat the muffin tin to death a gettin em out...the first time....hehehehe
Fatweed
hunter

Postby 2rivers » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:47 am

spray mold with Pam or WD-40 before pouring in lead and they will not stick
2rivers
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:54 am

MMMMM....nothing like a good lead muffin!
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby weedsnager » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:39 pm

get a piece of hardwood, and use a router to make any shap you'd like, it works pretty slick! :thumbsup:
weedsnager
hunter

But the lead...?

Postby redeyed » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:53 pm

this all sounds kewl but how hot do you need to get the lead and where do you get the lead from? those muffins sound great and I think I'd like to bake a few myself!
do you walk to work or do you take your lunch?
redeyed
hunter

Lead

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:59 pm

I don't know the exact temperature you need to get the lead, but we used a camp stove and a hot pot.

If you want lots of free lead go to a tire store. We got 3 five gallon buckets full of old wheel weights free. We then melted them down and skimmed the other metal off of the top. We have a ton of weights and all for a little time and effort.

We used 4 ounce bottle sinker molds cause we found an amesome way to rig them that you can pick them up and throw them out in half the time it used to take.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

thanks for the reply

Postby redeyed » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:16 pm

Tire weights huh.. thats something right there! I have a cook stove too that will do the job! thanks for the info!
do you walk to work or do you take your lunch?
redeyed
hunter

Postby weedsnager » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 pm

lead fumes are pretty wicked, i wear a respirator.
weedsnager
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:02 pm

hey ks waterfowler,
might have to let use in on how to roll them up and set them out twice as fast with the sinkers i am cheap so i have to use sinkers for my weights and that could be because i have like 3 or 4 5 gallon buckets full of sinkers
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckplucker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:09 pm

I know people who pour a like concrete mix into a mold of anykind (cut-off bottom part of yougurt cup or something like that) then bend a nail into a sort of semi-circle and while the concrete was wet, stuck the nail in and thats how they do it. But you can get em from almost any major hunting/fishing store. I have used fishing weights too. I think wal-mart even carries the anchors now too.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby REDLEGGER » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:18 am

quick cheap mold is the bottom of a pop can turn it upside down put in a wire to tie to pop right out when cool off. :thumbsup: " take a kid hunting you'll never regret it"
" take a kid hunting you will never regret it"

" God, FAMILY, HUNTING IN THAT ORDER"
REDLEGGER
hunter

Re: decoy anchor mold

Postby glazerguy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:19 pm

[quote="hightech1953"]does any one know where to buy anchor molds from?[/quote]

HI THERE YEAH YOU CAN BUY THEM FROM A COMPANY IN TEXAS CALLED BARLOWS TACKEL THERE E-MAIL ADDRESS IS
BARLOWSTACKLE.COM THEY HAVE A FEW DIFFERENT MOLDS YOU CAN GET I GOT THEM AND LOVE THEM THEY ARE AROUND 28.00 EACH THANKS AND TAKE CARE [edited by Admin2]
DUWAYNE

[no sales by vendors please unless you are a sponor at DHC, Admin2]
glazerguy
Newb

Postby michiganduckhunter » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:32 pm

Lots of good ideas. I have used a purchased, metal mold, but it gets hot to handle and only makes 3 straps at a time. I like using old wood and a router. Works great. I made some long thin straps and then just cut them with snips.
As for a source of lead ... the rim weights mentioned at garages are nto pure lead. They have the weight but are brittle so don't bend well like to wrap around the deeks neck for storage. I got pure lead from an old plumber and from a scrap yard. If it's heavy and bends easy, it's probably lead.
I drilled holes in thick wood with a 3/4 or 1" paddle bit. I used heavy electirc wire for the loop. Had to staple the wire in or it would float out when I poured in the lead. Once I got hte length of the wire right, it works great to attach the weight over the deeks head.
For safety, I wear a mask, work outside, and work upwind to avoid as much fumes as possible. I hear lead splatters when water hits it so watch for rain.
michiganduckhunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum