best brand of waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

best brand of waders

Postby lou_01 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:31 pm

In your opinion, who makes the most durable pair of waders? i have gone through 2 pairs in 2 seasons and by 2 different manufactures. both pair started leaking around the crotch and neither were cut or gouged.
lou_01
hunter

Re: best brand of waders

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

I really like my LaCrosse waders
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby ltcoljdf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:53 pm

No sure about the toughest, but Cabela's waders are good for life. Even though they changed their return policy it's own Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is good for life. LLbean still has the best return policy but they don't have a huge selection of waders. Their policy is good for life (you don't even have to have a problem like a rip), if you are no longer happy with your purchase then return it at anytime and they will refund you or replace it (doesn't matter the brand, like Cabela's).
ltcoljdf
hunter

Postby lou_01 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:07 pm

ltcoljdf wrote:No sure about the toughest, but Cabela's waders are good for life. Even though they changed their return policy it's own Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is good for life. LLbean still has the best return policy but they don't have a huge selection of waders. Their policy is good for life (you don't even have to have a problem like a rip), if you are no longer happy with your purchase then return it at anytime and they will refund you or replace it (doesn't matter the brand, like Cabela's).

wow i wasnt aware of that.
lou_01
hunter

Postby ltcoljdf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:16 pm

That was one of the reasons I bought most of my stuff at Cabela's, they had a great guarantee (and Beans didn't have the biggest selection). Since Cabela's changed the policy in Sept to only cover Cabela's brand clothing for life, I look at Bean's first and if they don't have it I find the least cost on the internet.
ltcoljdf
hunter

Postby arkyduckboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:05 pm

LaCrosse brushtuffs # 1 then hodgeman duramags # 2
arkyduckboy
hunter

Postby dredgebob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Has anyone tried the ProLine 5 mm neoprene waders from *****? They look pretty good and have 1000 grams of Thinsulate in the boots. I need to get a good pair and was wondering about these.

Bob
dredgebob
hunter

Postby smallwater » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:03 pm

I own a pair of 12 year old cabela's ice busters and I think you can still get the Brush Buster toughest,warmest waders ever made.But there heavy.12 years of serious abuse and the only problem I ever had was a mouse moved into one foot for a summer and peed on the inner lining causing it to separate from the rubber(that was this year).Best waders I have ever owned.
smallwater
hunter

Postby ntx_duckster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:25 pm

My Drake MST's are doing real well this hunting season.
ntx_duckster
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:27 pm

someones listening at Cabela's. quite a few yrs ago I had a problem with some Cabelas hiking boots and they wouldnt take 'em back....so I told 'em about LLBeans policy and said they should be doing this.....i took a few yrs for it to kick in but I guess finally they did it.......you can all thank me for instigating Cabela's New guaranteed for life on Cabela's brands :beer: :clapping: :beer:
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:37 pm

So to recap. Cabelas has a 100% warrenty on Cabelas stuff, so if my 5 yrs old waders crap out, they will replace them.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby ltcoljdf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:20 am

Cabela's used to have a guaranty on everything, Sept 09 they changed this. Now only Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed against defects (seams ripping, etc), not on rips that are cause by "abuse". LLBean will take anything you are not satisfied with back, they only thing you tell this is you are not satisfied and they will take it back.
ltcoljdf
hunter

Postby donttreadonme » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:55 pm

You folks better read the fine print on Cabela's "Lifetime Warranty". I have a pair of Super Mag 1600's and love them but when they sprung a leak a couple months ago and I returned them, I was told the following.

Lifetime warranty means the lifetime of the product as determined by Cabela's not as long as you own the item.

Within 90 Days you can return the item for an exchange or refund.

After 90 Days up to one year, you can return the DEFECTIVE (If you tear a hole in your waders on a stick or fence they are not defective.) item for an exchange for an IDENTICAL item.

After one year the item may be returned at a pro rated rate. You will have to pay the difference between the retail price and the pro rated value.

KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!

The days of walking into a Cabela's with worn out Cabela's brand gear and replacing it for new, no questions asked are gone.
"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
donttreadonme
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Cabelas 1600 grams are awesome, and you got the return policy. You can usually find them on sale every now and then for 160$ instead of 199$. I had a pair that "magically" sprung a leak in the boot after two years I got to exchange them really no questions asked just went back and got another pair. My buddies and I always bring stuff back there, had one buddy who bought a cow sillouhette to sneak up on snows, he brought it back and told them it didnt MOOO right...they took it back. I have never ever had a problem with their return policy. Big ups to cabelas :thumbsup:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby duckin-A » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:30 pm

so LL BEAN still has the best warranty in the bizzness......to bad they dont have the selection that Cabela's has!!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby urbanfowler » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:50 pm

I bought a pair of the Drake MST waders about a month ago and absolutely love them. I had a pair of coated nylon DU brand waders for years and made the switch to neoprene...deciding I'd go with the best I could find. I hike into all my spots, am 6'2" and have a pretty slim frame and had been frustrated with finding new waders that were so big you could almost fit another person in them. The MSTs are close fitting, warm and have great features (pockets, brush guards and weed guards on the boots)...I live in DC area and the temp doesn't dip much below 20 in the winter, so the LSTs were going to be too much.

The one thing I will say is that the boots tend to run a little big. I'm 11.5 and the size 11 are pretty big. The boots come with two buckles on each that are soppsed to make for a more snug fit, but they don't hold and don't really do too much...my best solution is to wear two pairs of socks.

All in all, invest the money in a pair you'll actually kind of like putting on and go with the MSTs...I'm glad I did.

My $.02...
urbanfowler
Newb

Postby barnhill910 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:53 pm

LaCross all the way I love mine i've had them for 2 years now and there holding up good
barnhill910
hunter

Postby Waterfowl Hiest » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Im gonna have to go with my 5mm Cabela's Super Mag's. There are 3 things I look at as a waterfowler. Comfort, Durability, Warmth!!! Thats It
Waterfowl Hiest
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:39 pm

I would not leave the house to hunt without my Drake LST's!!!!! Yeah, the boots are a little heavy, but that doesn't bother me in the boat. Beats getting cold.

Mike
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby wtrfowl07 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:10 pm

I bought a pair of Drake LST (late season technology) Mossy Oak Duck Blind Waders.

Drake Waterfowl Waders are the best waders on the market! I highly recommend them.
wtrfowl07
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Lacrosse Brush Tuff II nuff said
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:32 am

Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:Lacrosse Brush Tuff II nuff said

I'll second that.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Ned S » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:46 am

Rogers is selling 1600 gr LaCrosses for $160. This spring they were going for $150 with shipping to Texas for around $9. Cabellas and Bass Pro shop have ridiculous shipping costs. If I can't buy it at Rogers or Academy, I don't buy. Ned S the young 81 yr old.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby realtown12 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 am

for those you w mst's how is walking in them? are they heavy? would you bring them in and then put them on when you get there if your walk was over 1/2 mile?
Let's see what the day brings.
realtown12
hunter

Postby Ned S » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:09 am

I wouldn't walk long distances in them. I put mine own before launching the boat and/or putting out decoys. I have a light weight 600 gram pair for walking. Ned S the young 81 yr old.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum