best brand of waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: best brand of waders

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:03 am

2 of my hunting buddies and myself all have the Gander Mountain 600g breathable four layer waders. Cost about $139. They hold up quite well in my opinion and breath well, especially in the hot, early Florida duck season, but kept me warm enough in the winter. I have only had mine 1 season, but no leaks. Both of my hunting buddies have had theirs at least 2 seasons and still no leaks. definitely worth it in my opinion.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby realtown12 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 pm

what is winter like in jax? 55 and sunny?
Let's see what the day brings.
realtown12
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:37 pm

realtown12 wrote:what is winter like in jax? 55 and sunny?

:lol:

Late December and January it dips into the 30s & 40s...definitely had some cold mornings...but nothing like the Ohio winters i remember hunting in. Definitely some sunny days...but plenty of overcast and rainy hunts too...and a couple really windy days this past season. Early season is the killer though...high 70s to mid 80s and friggin' humid!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby gettingoosy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:16 am

Gotta go with Cabelas. We have 4 pair of them in our blind. Super mags and Ultimate Waders mostly. They can get a little warm early in the season, but here in Norther Illinois you need a little extra something to get you through December.
Hitler was a vegetarian.
gettingoosy
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:07 am

my cabelas ultimate hunters are holding up flawlessly i have even got caught in a few snags and no tears.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby pappy8745 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:57 am

I had a pair of those Pro Lines from Dicks, total crap, the knee pads fell off and they had leaks after about 15-20 uses in steelhead season, DON'T BUY them!

As for Cabelas, it depends who you talk to at customer service. I just took back a pair of 1600's that I bought 1.5 years ago, they had a seam leak and I didn't have a receipt and I recieved a full exchange no questions asked.
Rob Siri
Air Traffic Control Lanyards
pappy8745
hunter

Postby quackaddict21 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:34 am

lou_01 wrote:
ltcoljdf wrote:No sure about the toughest, but Cabela's waders are good for life. Even though they changed their return policy it's own Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is good for life. LLbean still has the best return policy but they don't have a huge selection of waders. Their policy is good for life (you don't even have to have a problem like a rip), if you are no longer happy with your purchase then return it at anytime and they will refund you or replace it (doesn't matter the brand, like Cabela's).

wow i wasnt aware of that.

Hate to rain on the parade, but Cabelas DOES NOT warranty there own brand of clothing if they change the camo pattern or design of said clothing after you purchase it. Two of my duck hunting buddies both owned the Cabelas brand 1600 Mag waders in Wetlands camo pattern. Last week they both had leaks near the crotch, they went to Cabelas to get them replaced, and were told by the store manager that the Wetlands pattern was no longer available so therefore they could not replace the product with an exact match, thus the warranty was no longer any good. The store manager did offer them each a 40% off trade in on new waders through Cabelas. Both buddies declined, and ordered the Drake LST waders through Mack's Praire Wings. Just make sure that you enquire about the warranty from anyplace you decide to purchase.
quackaddict21
Newb

Postby Mike T » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 am

I bought the redhead bone dry waders from bass pro. Ive never tried another wader so o can't speak for anything else. I think these waders are stupid heavy, but they are def warm rugged and thick. I don't understand why they put the buckle right where you shoulder your gun though? Bad design
Mike T
Newb

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 am

Botiz630 wrote:
Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:Lacrosse Brush Tuff II nuff said

I'll second that.

Ditto!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:23 pm

2 sets of Cabela's waders and a set of LaCrosse's in our blind no leaks or problems but the Cabela's seem to fit better.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby mallardman2256 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:11 pm

lacrosse brush tuffs without a doubt. had mine for five years and wade in jagged button willows and cypress swamps everyday. spend the money and buy a pair. it pays off
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby duckman87 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:42 pm

I hunt at least 4 or 5 days a week during waterfowl season as I'm sure most of you guys and gals hunt as often as you can, but every two years I've came to realize that I will be needing a new pair of waders because they just don't last, regardless if they are neoprene, gortex or whatever. They all seem to be made with these thinsulate boots that WILL within two years of use crack around the ankles or somewhere around the boot rendering them useless(at least for me) because once they crack they cannot be patched or fixed permanently. They can be fixed for one or two outings but just long enough to really piss you off and make you freezing @$$ wet.
Cut um all jack!
duckman87
hunter

Postby Get the green » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 pm

I've had two pairs of leaky Lacrosse Brush tuff waders they are so bulky and heavy. I am going back to Cabelas brand, I bought a pair Cabelas Breathable warrior 2 waders and they are great! Swamped some vehicles last season and had to walk out 2 miles in waist deep water might not of made it in those Lacrosse!
Get the green
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 pm

I've had a pair of Lacrosse Brush Tuff's for about three years now. Hunted them pretty hard, they did get a leak in the stitching right at the crotch. I glued them from the inside about a year ago, and havent had any problems since. They are thick and heavy, but in the late season breaking ice im thankfull they are.
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby swampmaster55 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:20 pm

i have worn lacross for the past seven years.. finally this past season they started tearing like crazy so i had to just throw them away.. i woulda got them again cause they lasted so long but i am a Drake fanatic so i had to spend the money on the MST's.. i just got em a few days ago so cant say much bout durability but so far i absolutely love what i got!! and IMO the boots are extremely light i can't even hardly tell i'm wearing waders! i love all the pockets and the hand warmer on the inside!! i give them an A+ so far, they are great.. but yea the pull locks on the boots dont tighten up that much so i'd go with a smaller boot if u can stand it.. but so far the Drake MST's are SWEET!!!! :thumbsup:
1648 Wareagle w/ 40 kohler hd sport.. BAMF!!!!
swampmaster55
hunter

Postby HenryMallard001 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:26 pm

ltcoljdf wrote:No sure about the toughest, but Cabela's waders are good for life. Even though they changed their return policy it's own Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is good for life. LLbean still has the best return policy but they don't have a huge selection of waders. Their policy is good for life (you don't even have to have a problem like a rip), if you are no longer happy with your purchase then return it at anytime and they will refund you or replace it (doesn't matter the brand, like Cabela's).
irs

First time hearing this..... but id have to agree Cabela does make great waders only buy my waders from there. I have had great luck with them and never any problem so why risk switching to something else.
"If only they made one more pass" whats often said in a blind
HenryMallard001
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Anyone try the new macks prarie wing waders? I bought a pair of the big ditch for this season. Will see if the seam sealer really is all its cracked up to be?
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby crazyhats5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Just ordered the orvis sonic seam waders. They should be here Thursday!
crazyhats5
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:31 am

My warrior II's developed a leak in the butt this teal season. Ive had them a year and called cabela's yesterday they said box them up and send them and we will exchange for a new pair
Park Duck
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 am

Park Duck wrote:My warrior II's developed a leak in the butt this teal season. Ive had them a year and called cabela's yesterday they said box them up and send them and we will exchange for a new pair

Hilarious. I posted this on another thread (there's got to be 100 threads about waders on here :lol3: )

I had the same exact problem, except with mine, I got more then a leak, the entire seat became unstitched, or more accurately, unglued, they look stitched but its actually just glued on. I called Cabelas, told them what happened, and they told me to box them up, send them back, they'd look them over and decide how much use I got out of them, and give me a credit. Nothing about 100% money back. I couldn't wait for all that, its hunting season now. So I ordered a new pair and when they arrived, I boxed up the old pair and sent them in. I'll take the credit and use it for something else I am sure.

I did go with another pair of Cabelas waders. I hunt 4-6 days a week all season, and these ones lasted me 6 years. thats great IMO.

When the new ones showed up, I read the exact wording on the guarantee, its attached to the waders. I am going to paraphrase a bit, but basically what it said was-
"Lets be honest, hunting waders get put through a lot. We guarantee our products for life, but if they have just been plain wore out from use, we can only do so much. We don't guarantee against punctures from sticks, barbed wire, ice damage, etc".

So although they do warranty them, they do have that out to not give you full credit back. We'll see what they do for me with my unglueing problem
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby h20_Fowler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 am

Bought the LL Bean Alpha Helix last year and I really like them. Theyre light weight, and seem to be really durable. They're not as insulated as the neopreme's but i just put on extra layers underneath and have no problems.
h20_Fowler
Newb

Postby Jfk1700 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:22 pm

crazyhats5 wrote:Just ordered the orvis sonic seam waders. They should be here Thursday!

Ive got these...they are great. I have also had the LL Bean Helix which are nice too!
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Cabela's gear is very good and I've been quite satisfied in my 30 years of buying waterfowl gear from them.
I've had waders that lasted for 6-7 seasons but that's not everyday hunting.
I hunted almost every day last season wearing a pair of Cabelas 5mm neoprene waders. They still look like new.
Their wader jackets and coats are also extremely good quality.
I use a Drake pullover and the outer shell from my Cabela's jacket. That combo ROCKS!

Cabela's service is excellent. If you have a problem they'll fix it.
I kind of doubt they'll give you new waders because you stepped on a thorn and poked a hole in the boot. These things happen though.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Check out Rocky waders the company that makes the work boots. Have worked for me so far
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby treatcg » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Rogers Toughman waders?

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/234- ... ined-20500
treatcg
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum