best brand of waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Re: best brand of waders

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:03 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Check out Rocky waders the company that makes the work boots. Have worked for me so far

after owning some of their boots...... no thanks.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Luvawoodie » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Cabelas is my favorite.

I've Had Redheads and they actually held up very well for what I paid for'm. But the warrenty on Cabelas stuff is second to none so thats all I'll buy anymore. Also I always carry Aqua seal with me that stuff is great.
Voted "Handsdown the Biggest Jackwagon On the Site" by Shouldabeenswallowed!!!

My own prostaff
Luvawoodie
hunter

Postby BigGoonTuna » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:04 am

cabelas really ratcheted down their warranty in the past couple years. i can't say i blame them, but the way it used to be, you could bring your old worn out waders in and get full credit on the return. i don't think their quality is really any better than most other brands(they're all probably made in the same chinese factory) so i usually look for a better deal first before buying a pair from them.
BigGoonTuna
hunter

Postby QuackYak » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:30 pm

any updates on the orvis waders? got a pair of orvis bogs extremes for christmas and trying to decide if the sonic seams might be better or if either of these will hold up to the swamp. not too cold here in nc so insulation not as big of a concern as mobility and most of all durability. Any thoughts?
QuackYak
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Cabelas waders are very good. They will eventually "weep" at the crotch seems.
The moisture I get in my waders is usually around the crotch. It's not from leaking but from condensation. I usually am standing in water up to...my crotch. Go figure.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

best brand of waders

Postby quackhunter99 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:35 pm

I love my Mack's pw waders. Look at the muddy water camo waders too. I have some friends who use them and love them
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:10 pm

My Hodgeman's finally died after 10 seasons and alot of shoe goo. Loved em but can't seem to stay dry anymore. Anyone hunt in Cabela's Northern Flight Waders? I was looking at those as a little lighter option to the Super Mag 1600's. I tend to do alot of walking both in early teal and frozen December and January winters in Indiana.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby freezeland » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:08 am

urbanfowler wrote:I bought a pair of the Drake MST waders about a month ago and absolutely love them. I had a pair of coated nylon DU brand waders for years and made the switch to neoprene...deciding I'd go with the best I could find. I hike into all my spots, am 6'2" and have a pretty slim frame and had been frustrated with finding new waders that were so big you could almost fit another person in them. The MSTs are close fitting, warm and have great features (pockets, brush guards and weed guards on the boots)...I live in DC area and the temp doesn't dip much below 20 in the winter, so the LSTs were going to be too much.

The one thing I will say is that the boots tend to run a little big. I'm 11.5 and the size 11 are pretty big. The boots come with two buckles on each that are soppsed to make for a more snug fit, but they don't hold and don't really do too much...my best solution is to wear two pairs of socks.

All in all, invest the money in a pair you'll actually kind of like putting on and go with the MSTs...I'm glad I did.

My $.02...

I'd never own a thing with the drake logo on it again. Got a LST 4 in 1 parka that the pockets literally fell off of, drake wouldn't exchange it. Wanted me to buy a new one before they would consider refunding my money for their defective product. No more drake junk for me......
Last edited by freezeland on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
freezeland
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22 am

Cabela's Supermags
TheMiz
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Embarrassed that I suggested Drake LST 2.0's..... Started leaking after only five uses. :mad: I'm done with Drake and their poor quality and non-existent customer service.

Sorry I even offered them up for consideration. :oops:

O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot

O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 pm

O2Fsh wrote:.

Embarrassed that I suggested Drake LST 2.0's..... Started leaking after only five uses. :mad: I'm done with Drake and their poor quality and non-existent customer service.

Sorry I even offered them up for consideration. :oops:

O2Fsh

I thought the 2.0's were suppose to resolve all of the Drake wader problems?!?!

I Have 3 season on my Cabela's 5mm neostrech's now and they still look brand new, aside from some dirt and a tiny bit of wear on the soles.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby O2Fsh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:46 am

2500hDon,

They swore they'd fixed everything.... I'll agree they fixed the height under the arms and made them more flexible. However, they started leaking after only 4-5 hunts....light hunting conditions. I swear I didn't torture them.

Got a call yesterday from their customer service claiming they'd tried previously to contact me. I checked my phone records and internet contacts....nothing. Then, they said they couldn't find my transaction and would have to call me back. I'm expecting about another month's wait. She suggested I Aquaseal the seams, and that it would NOT void their warranty. No shame in offering a suggestion as to how I make up for their lack of quality.

Still have not heard back from them since they called regarding the magnattach pocket magnets interfering with my pacemaker's function. I failed to see the warning tab on the zipper when the jacket arrived. Spent a LONG hunt wondering why I felt so bad. Had to go to the V.A. hospital and have my pacer checked. I asked the guy that fielded my complaint why there are no warnings... Drake representative's reply was that the catalog copywriters edit out the warnings for space sake. I bought it at first. However, now I recognize the B-S answer it is. I spend another $100 having a seamstress cut out all the magnets and sew on small patches of Velcro. Seamstress noted several poorly sewn spots and resewed them for me as well. No further issues with quality or my pacer after that.

IF I ever get the hats and promo stuff I was promised I'll probably just hand it to my kids. I've no further interest in promoting or supporting Drake. Too bad, they used to represent quality and integrity. However, I will work hard to make certain my hunting buddies know A. I should have listened to them regarding Drake's poor quality and non-existent customer service B. I dissuade them from purchasing Drake products in the future. I owe them that much.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:09 am

USIA waders the only USA made waders with a real lifetime warranty and you can have the boots replaced if they ever wear out and you can have whatever boots you want put on them. They are tough as nails mine have made it through my season without a problem. I can honestly say they are probably the last pair I will have to buy for a long time. I have a review I posted of them a while back just search USIA waders it should come up.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum