Mallard Machine. Do they work?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Mallard Machine. Do they work?

Postby kansaswingnut » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:31 am

How effective are the Mallard Machines? How much of a pain in the ass are they?
New birds make us all better hunters...eh.
kansaswingnut
hunter

Postby Get'em » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:46 am

i bought one from wal mart took it out the next morning and took it back that afternoon. I hated it, it was heavy and the ducks didnt like it either. i noticed when ducks are feeding they dont have 3 or 4 ducks feeding in one area the ususally chase one another off.
Get'em
hunter

Postby wspiller » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:03 pm

I love both of mine set them up on opposite sides of the spread with butts inbtween deadly combo, but you also have to have a spot where it looks natural to see ducks feeding
wspiller
hunter

Postby Canadian Quacker » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:51 pm

My hunting partner has one and it seems to work great. He found it heavy at first but he has since gotten a smaller battery.

CQ
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:53 pm

I bought one the first year they came out and i absolutely love it. Get a good carrying bag and a motorcycle batterey and you'll kill more ducks. Especially in a pothole it will move your entire spread from the wakes that comes from it, i've drawn in alot of far birds with it that would normally not turn and come on the calm days! :salude:
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:59 pm

I bought one the first year they came out and i absolutely love it. Get a good carrying bag and a motorcycle batterey and you'll kill more ducks. Especially in a pothole it will move your entire spread from the wakes that comes from it, i've drawn in alot of far birds with it that would normally not turn and come on the calm days! :salude:
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:53 pm

We have been using one this year and it seems to work well. I love being able to stay still and create motion. The downside of jerk strings is you have to move in order to create movement in the water.

Our wooded pothole is very protected and usually very still. The machine stirs it up well. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Wild Wings 1 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:33 am

I've had two of them. They are a pain to put out and really won't work in a flooded field very well. They work alright in flooded timber but its hard to keep it anchored in place. Also, I had lots of problems with the wiring messing up or the switch shorting out. Best bet is to leave the thing out in your spread and leave it there! If it breaks, take it back at the end of the season, at least you won't have to trudge the the nightmare back and forth with you every time you go.
Wild Wings 1
hunter

Postby wspiller » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:40 am

You guys keep mentioning there hard to carry, I put mine in my mojo box the prop and wires fit in there very nice and its a lot easier to carry
wspiller
hunter

Postby Willhunt4food » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:24 pm

I plan on building one. In the next week, If I can't find the parts cheap enough I'll probably get one for X-Mas.
I'll let ya know how it turns out
Willhunt4food
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:58 pm

i was just about to come and ask the same thing.. I would like to buy one but im not sure about it. i dont really want to leave it in my spread. but not sure. any more advice would be appreciated.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby Wild Wings 1 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:34 am

The newer mallard machines that have the three legs whish fold up are much easier to carry. If you are going to build one, I would make the legs about two or three feet longer that way the decoys aren't so close together knocking into each other occasionally and it would probably look more natural. The older mallard machines which had the frame were a MAJOR pain to take out.
Wild Wings 1
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum