floating gun case

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

floating gun case

Postby 5000reel » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:35 am

I was wondering what the top of the line or best in your opinion, floating gun case would be. I saw one I think was called in-line for 69.99. I want a floating watrerproof one that is heavily padded so I don't have to worry about tossing my gun around a little bit. Thanks

KDS
5000reel
Newb

Postby Goosehunter04 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:27 pm

Final Approach makes a Floating gun case and i think it is around $65
You can't go wrong with Final Approach Gear. I just ordered a FA floating blind bag and i can't wait for it to get here.
Goosehunter04
hunter

Postby whislewing » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:41 pm

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... lts1.jhtml
this is my case I love it, the vynl doesn't get wet, i had a nylon covored one before and it would hold moisture :thumbsup:
10 o clock tree line
whislewing
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:13 pm

be carefull though ive heard of guys buying cases that claim they float,they float alright but not with a gun in them.you might want to test it first when you get one
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:28 pm

The price is right on that Mad Dog for sure. I have a Mad dog roll top gear bag where I keep my extra gloves and jackets and such. Used it 3 years now--no holes or anything yet. A good product from my experience. So if it is the same PVC outer, it should hold up well. :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Drew Willemsen » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:27 am

Avery makes a nice floating case...my .02
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:34 pm

The concern about a pvc outer is it does not breathe to let moisture out though... Meaning say it is raining and you put the gun into the case, will not the moisture then be trapped in the case then? How can it dry out???

I have Avery floating cases, very happy with the new model, the older one slips the flap, at least the new one was corrected. Frankly it is about the only thing Avery that I have been happy with. They are batting 2 for 6 with me with their products. :(
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby whislewing » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:19 pm

I wouldn't want it to dry out in the case, I use my case for transportation only, i pack some paper towel in my blind bag and do a quick wipedown, to keep the case somewhat dry. when i get home i open up the case end and it dries just fine, just put it in some heat like your living room where your wife can look at it and enjoy its splendor, where so that the hydrogen-bonds in the water can turn to a gas and go out into the air.

the outside iti is imperative that it be some sort of vynl or other type of non absorbing material, i have one with the nylon shell, and it gets wet and when you pack it in your trunk it gets everything else wet.... AVOID absorbing materials, and for heaven's sake do not leave your gun in it's floating case, have a seperate one at home or a safe or someting just not a wet case.
10 o clock tree line
whislewing
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:47 pm

I just got an avery one for $25 at cabelas looks great and it fits my semi auto better than $60 Kolpin that i have. The kolpin is good but not for a semi auto.
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:22 am

Ive got an uncle mikes floater in max-4 i picked up from a local sporting good store for like $20. (they miss marked it...hahaha steal) It has worked great so far and keeps the gun dry. Putting the 870 back in it wet is another story but just opened it up and set next to the fire when i get home and dries fine (my mom loves all my camo gear lyin around!). Floater bags are nice but still treat the gun with respect and dont just through it in the water just because.
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:46 am

Just got a DU one for my b-day, made by Avery with velcro closure and fold over velcor strap. Has a pouch and shoulder strap with nice padding. Looks very well made. I was wondering how well it keeps water out when in the rain and how well it dries out. Does it really float with a heavy gun it and on top of the water or just floats at the surface?
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:01 pm

One way to find out. Put some baseball bats and some weight to equal your gun and and throw in a pool or a pond. Better to find out now.
tstrong
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:22 pm

Avery's floating gun case is a good case with padding for a decent price. I have three of them and they have been great for the last 3 years.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby mud duck » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:43 pm

I'll put my 2 cents in for the mad dog. It's a heavy duty pvc outer shell with lots of padding on the inside, an adjustable, non slip shoulder strap and an outer pouch for choke tubes or something else. It's seen a fair amount of abuse this year and has held up fine. It has a DU emblem on it. Don't know what the significance is of that. I got it at Sportsman's Wearhouse for $20.00.
mud duck
hunter

Postby royst » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:21 pm

I can attest to the mad dog floating case. I sunk last season in 6ft of water and to my amazment my gun floated out the boat. Picked it up and it was dry. I wish I could say the same for me I had a wet ass.
royst
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:29 am

Another vote for the Avery! :salude:
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:44 am

:withstupid: :salude:
DU Avery in max-4d, great case.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby TNRedneck » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:10 am

:withstupid: Avery all the way.
GITN-R-DONE THIS SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI FOR 16 YEARS!
TNRedneck
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:42 pm

hee hee :withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby quackkiller » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:26 pm

I've got one made by Arkansas Decoy Co. (don't know if they are still in business or not) I got it about 8 years ago and it's still holdin up like new. It's really nice. This was back before I knew about Avery though, but if I were gonna buy a knew one today, it would def. be Avery. :thumbsup:
quackkiller
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum