Mirror Blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Mirror Blind

Postby mudpack » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:27 am

Two seasons ago, I built a mirror blind. I used four acrylic mirrors that cost $600. :oops: Used it one time, in shallow water that had NO cover, but the pintails were in it thick.
More trouble than it's worth. Wind is a real problem. Open top was a real problem (sprig dropping in from 200yards up would NOT finish). Finding it again after moving the boat was a real problem. The sun was a real problem.
It's a cool idea, and I may yet still modify the thing and try it again sometime.

Those pictures of the Mylar blind show a blind that is very easy to distinquish. If the camera were placed 20 yards in the air, like a duck would be, the blind might blend in better.
mudpack
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 am

Sounds like you are pretty close. You did err on the side of caution. I would add a couple of feet to the pvc, just to make sure. Question...Are you gonna have enough room in a 18 cubic foot box to move? Sit down? Bring up you shotgun?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby NTXduckhunts » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:53 pm

It may be cheaper to buy this..Not sure..???
http://www.ghostblind.com/
NTXduckhunts
hunter

Postby NTXduckhunts » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Also if you take a pic of the area you can bring it to a place that makse wraps for cars etc and they can put it on most anything like Mylar and poly sign material..I am thinking up one for a dead timber blind where I hunt..
NTXduckhunts
hunter

Postby Freezer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:01 am

I wounder if the reflective window film would work? It's not expensive and you can get it at any hardware store.

The top is the problem I see with these if they're used as a duck blind. A pair of light 1/2" PVC flip tops with green chicken wire would solve the problem. The chicken wire will stiffen the flip door and a small amount of cover on top will make it blend in.
Freezer
hunter

Postby bigmel » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Sweet
bigmel
hunter

Postby foxtrot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:44 am

I wonder if Angling the sides down towards the ground would negate some of the glare. Make it so the top rail has a greater diameter then the floor. \_/ kinda like this.
"A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether." -Roy H. Williams
foxtrot
hunter

Postby bobalong » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 pm

foxtrot wrote:I wonder if Angling the sides down towards the ground would negate some of the glare. Make it so the top rail has a greater diameter then the floor. \_/ kinda like this.

If you look at the first pic in the first post that is the way it is built.
bobalong
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 am

so no report on this thing???
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:08 pm

I never saw this post. I read about the mirror blind idea in the book "Hunting Bible." I'm interested if this really works.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:31 pm

bobalong - Did you ever get a chance to field test this thing yet?
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby bobalong » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 pm

BenellisbeII wrote:bobalong - Did you ever get a chance to field test this thing yet?

I tried it the year I built it. The birds come all the way up the field but would not finish, they did not really flare but would not finish. I don't think the mylar I used was reflective enough, at least I think that was the problem. It was a fun project, but didn't work the way I hoped it would. Have since went to coffin blinds.
bobalong
hunter

Postby Dirtnap » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 am

I bet it could still be used pretty effectively for deer hunting
Dirtnap
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum