waders, bags and deks oh my!

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

waders, bags and deks oh my!

Postby Butchhe » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:18 am

So how do you guys get all your gear to your blind? I tried loading up a few boxes of shell, extra gloves, waders, lunch 6 magnum deks and a few other items on a frame pack. After walking to my blind, 1/2 mile out, it felt like I was carring an elephant! What tricks do you use to make your hike in easier?
Butchhe
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:44 am

Usually.......a boat.

But when walking to a spot, I have a drag sled. Works good. Then when I'm hunting in water up to my waist, I still have a dry spot to put things, because it floats next to me in the grass.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby dukkilr6 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:13 am

Waterkeel dekes save a ton of weight. and definatly a sling on the old duck poking machine.
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:51 pm

a decoy bag with packframe, gun, bucket to sit on and carry gloves, ammo, coffee, some snacks, once you do this about 1 million times you find ways to make it work for you.....but I can tell ya those yuppie folks with nice backpacks and hiking boots wearing shorts havve nothing over a duck hunter carrying 60lbs of decoys and hiking out wearing waders......
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:18 pm

I use inflatables if a death march is gona happen :yes: :yes: :yes: I drape my waders over my shoulders, crotch in the back of my neck and toes pointing out. 12 inflatable decoys, lunch, and other stuff will fit in my backpack easy. Only pack as many bullets as ya need....them suckers are heavy. I sling my shotgun over my back and carry a 5 gallon bucket to sit on. If I want a few water keels as well, I clip 3 or 4 to my pack :cool: :cool: :cool: Just got one them deer carts too :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:23 pm

I just put everything in my decoy bag. I would buy one of those decoy dolly things, but they're a bit $$$
texan68
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:51 pm

ATV. Or just somehow carry it.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby marcbme » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:03 am

decoy dolly....I have one, couldn't live without it.....although a deer cart does the same thing (decoy dollys can be converted into a seat or a layout blind)
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:10 am

so you are a real waterfowler now....suck it up and GIT_ER_DONE!

Seriously, most of us have gone through that issue.....and many still do just that....but the suggestion of a sled is great for a general marsh or along a trail through a marsh.....a wheeled 'carrier' is what you need in hard terrain......check with Dogman, he built a very good hauler with scraps!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

boat

Postby Marshwalker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:24 pm

boat
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby Wild Wings 1 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:24 am

I do a lot of hiking in myself when hunting timber. The best thing I found was to get some Featherlite Decoys. Their the inflatable ones that come in a package of six. I think Phil Robertson endorses them. They are super-lightweight and work like a dream because they are photo printed and move in the wind like no other decoy I've ever used! They make a hike a WHOLE lot easier!
Wild Wings 1
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:42 am

I don't know what kind of trail you are traveling on, but we use two wheel barrels, you won't believe what you can haul in with the help of bungie cords. On one wheel barrel is 18 full size decoys , one gun. shell and gear bag, lunch , one mojo c/w with pole and usually my hunting jacket because I heat up from the walk. And of course on the way out is a limit of geese and ducks. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby huntingrdr » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:47 pm

Honda ATV
huntingrdr
hunter

Postby wspiller » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:50 pm

find bigger hunting partners or just constanlty take new people there delighted to go and love to help with the carrying :mrgreen:
wspiller
hunter

Postby brdprey » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:10 pm

duck deeks, extra shells, hot coffee, munchies (especially for me) water for pup, folding seats, socks extra pair, (and if we stay along time like all day) ill take food for pup. and pack it all in one of them wagons with inflateable tires.............. :eek: man ill tell you i dont look as incompatent as i use to, and getting there is so much easier.........oh dont for get the camo for the wagon as well. :laughing:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:28 pm

My two boys :toofunny:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby kcduckslayer » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:02 pm

I carry alot of stuff to. When I am loading up I just remember what doesnt kill me only makes me stronger.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:38 pm

Yep, I have a decoy dolly too. Max 4, it folds into a bench. Worked good for me to sit on and enough room for my dog too. Had it in 2ft of water(submerged) and sat on it. It's sweet. Cost $150 though. :salude:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum