Help!! Wader boot cracked & leaking

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Help!! Wader boot cracked & leaking

Postby Atomicpunk5 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:02 pm

Anyone out there had any success repairing a Hodgeman boot that cracked and leaked before? I have Aqua seal for the neoprene, but looking for help on the rubber boot. Appreciate any tips.
Atomicpunk5
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:37 pm

I would use shoe goo on the inside and outside of the tear. Welcome to DHC by the way! Good luck! :welcome:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Fredito » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:43 pm

See if a tire repair shop will throw a patch on it...or do it yourself and then go over with some aqua seal...also welcome again to DHC
Fredito
hunter

Postby Atomicpunk5 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:05 pm

Going to get some Shoe Goo/Aqua Seal tomorrow. Thanks for the tips and the welcome guys. Going out this weekend off the IL river and hopefully the goo will hold. Current temps around here are 5 degrees above 0... Chilly...
Atomicpunk5
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:06 pm

Always trying to help! :mrgreen:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Re: Help!! Wader boot cracked & leaking

Postby Duck Heaven » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:47 pm

Atomicpunk5 wrote:Anyone out there had any success repairing a Hodgeman boot that cracked and leaked before? I have Aqua seal for the neoprene, but looking for help on the rubber boot. Appreciate any tips.

Hodgeman boots are notorious for cracking and leaking within a very short time of purchase. Do what I did!

I purchased two pairs of knee-high Hodgeman boots from Meijers Thrifty Acres .... one pair for my son ..and one pair for me! The very next fall ...when I took them from the basement ... and took them out to the field ... it wa then that both pairs of boots were dry-rot and cracking and falling apart!

I called the company ... they requested a picture E-mailed to them ... and they sent me two new pairs of boots. The ones they sent .. were quite a bit of up grade .. and that was 5 years ago ... and to this day .. have not experienced any more leaks. :thumbsup:

............................................ "DOCV"
Cheap-Azz ... Rather spend it on decoy's club!

Duck Heaven
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:24 pm

go to your local tire repair place and get them to vulcanize (sp) the hole for ya, my buddy does it all the time besides the color of the patch its like the hole was never there..

also treating your wader boots regularly with armor all keeps them from dry rotting and cracking..
Rowdy
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:49 pm

I cut my wader boot a few weeks back. I was bumbed to say the least. They have been wonderful comfortable waders.

I used Aquaseal. It has worked great. I think I have been out about 6 times since then and had no problems. I hunt hard. I am usually hiking a long way and or riding a bike a long ways.

One important thing. take some sandpaper and slightly rough up the area first. Then use cotton ball and rubbing alcohol to clean the area well, inside and out. Then just goo the aquaseal on lightly, I made sure it was down in the slice. I just put on an even thin area around the cut about and inch. Make sure the edges are a light coat and smooth.

I had a buddy that just smeared it on with out roughing or cleaning and it didn't last one hunt.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Atomicpunk5 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:49 am

I wended up doing most of the above guys, and tested em out. I am now the proud owner of a brand new pair or Dura Mag 1200 waders. Broke ice with em the 1st day out. Nice and warm/dry and even nicer with the 18 ducks 3 of us came in with.

Thanks for the tips..
Atomicpunk5
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum