etrex legend c GPS questions

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

etrex legend c GPS questions

Postby hunt-chessies » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:59 pm

I found out the wifes plans so she gave in. so now that i know what im getting its time to move on. what "extras" will make this unit perform better for my duck hunting needs?? mapping software if so what ones (and does anyone got any out there?) ?? should i be looknig at a mount or power coards for other power sorces? how hard is the unit to figure out, this will be my first GPS so im realy not up to speed. anyone have any thoughts good or bad on this unit?? It was a gift but i'd still like to know what im getting into!! thanks guys!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby mud duck » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:41 am

I have the Garmin Gecko 201, a much smaller unit with fewer options. I just use mine to mark a location like a fishing/hunting/base camp location and need to return to it, so I don't need base maps. If yours does not come with patch cords to hook it up to the computer, you will need one. I would suggest ebay for this. I got one that is much better than factory and about 1/10th of the cost. They are kind of cool to mark your speed and mileage with, so a windshield mount and car charger might also be a good option. Other than that, I think you're pretty much set. The legend is a great unit.
mud duck
hunter

Postby Penguine » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:21 am

I have a legend. Good unit. The more sattelites you let it find before you start moving the better. I do not think you really need any mapping software. Go to the local DNR/GFP, CO office and get a map with roads on it. Drive to where you want to go, and mark it. You just saved yourself about $100+ on mapping software. A car cord would be nice. The batteries are AA, make sure you keep them on hand. A GPS works 100% better when the batteries are good :oops: Don't ask.

Make sure you read the directions also. The book is thick, bathroom reading maybe? It is easy enough to turn on, track sattelites and then use the Mark Location and Goto functions. But read. You will only get the most out of it if you learn it... And do not forget... FRESH BATTERIES!!
Penguine
hunter

Postby canadagoose » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:56 am

Get some rechargable batteries and a charger with a car adapter. Before I got those, I was always having to remember to go buy new batteries, turning my GPS off in the field to save battery, etc. Now, I just always have an extra couple sets of charged batteries in my pocket and don't worry about it.

I like to leave mine on when I'm out in the field, tracking everywhere I go and marking places of interest. If you want to do that, you'll want a unit with lots of memory for the tracks. When I get home, I upload the tracks to the computer and look at them on the topos. This is really helpful when you're learning a new area.

It's also handy for going over topo maps on the computer in advance of a hunt, then marking places of interest and downloading them to the unit.
canadagoose
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:34 pm

thanks guys... can't wait to get it in my hands and start playing with it!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum