Cold Feets?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Cold Feets?

Postby HunterX » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:41 am

Well its about time that the cold weather has kicked in here up north but while out in the field how do you guys maintain those feets of yours from freezing off so that you can get your game on? I wore 3 pairs of wool socks the other day and it was useless. Should I throw in some foot warmers?
HunterX
hunter

Postby hoover » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:29 am

forget the foot warmers..they will only stay dry for an hour or so. once they get wet from sweat, they are useless. your feet will sweat for sure...those warmers get pretty hot. try boot blankets...but you have to put them on BEFORE your feet get cold. you could take off your boots and use the foot warmers to warm up your boots and another set to warm your feet. once everything is warm, put your boots back on. this is a hassle but the options are pretty limited once your feet are cold. i have taken an aluminum lunch bucket and drilled 3/4 inch holes in it, lined the bottom with fiberglass insulation and lit a can of sterno. close the lunch bucket. this setup gets VERY hot. you would burn your boots or gloves if you put them on the lunch pail. keep in mind that you will need to bring a weiner tongs or something to use to open/close or put out the sterno. otherwise, you will for sure burn holes in your gloves trying to mess with this setup. this is not the best solution, but in an emergency, it warms my feet and hands. the aluminum lunch pail cools off and heats up real fast.
hoover
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:46 pm

When in the field I wear my waders that have been retired from last year. This way I can lay in the snow. The best thing to keeping warm is staying dry! these have some small holes and such, but as long as I am not wading in them they are great.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:57 pm

I either wear 1 pair of wool socks over another pair of polypropylene(or other synthetic socks that wick moisture away) socks, or, in my waders, which have a pin hole leak that I can't find, I tried using those disposable foot warmers. The foot warmers kept my feet warm without them getting hot, and the inside of my boot of my wader was damp from the leak. You just have to buy the ones specially made for boots. They lasted five and a half hours or so. I was standing in water the whole time as well. Granted, I'll be buying a new pair of waders next year, but it's not in the budget right now and I can afford the foot warmers.

Alot of places are selling the calf-high rubber boots with 1600 grams of insulation fairly cheap now as well. If you can keep your feet dry you should be alright. Try Mickey Mouse boots at an army/navy store too. I think it's impossible to get cold wearing them.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Ducksbeus » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:51 am

Spray your feet, and let em dry before putting on your socks, with anti persperant... works good :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:57 am

Wool socks and a these wierd things that look like power ranger boot socks um stuff. :umm:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:44 pm

The problem is usually moisture. I have resorted to wearing flip flops with any socks until I get to the club. That way I don’t have hot sweating feet before I get there. Then I remove the sock I was wearing and slip on a dry liner sock and a dry wool sock, and I have had no problems with cold feet. I used to freeze. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:03 am

I agree with RC
Carry spare pairs of socks and once you get done setting up your spread take off you boots and dry your feet, once they are dry put on the fresh socks.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum