Opinions on Herters Coats?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Opinions on Herters Coats?

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:47 pm

What do you guys think about Herters 100% waterproof coats? I found a good deal on one, but have never had one. It has the reversable liner and says its 100% waterproof, but not gortex. Just wondering if anyone has used these?
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:01 pm

Is it like cabelas dry plus? Because that is almost the same thing as gor-tex
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Herter's Coats

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:16 pm

I have one and love it. Wish I would have got a 4 in 1 though. Have had mine for several years and it is still in good shape.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:33 pm

Is it breathable so you don't sweat to death?
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:36 pm

Here is the description. Cabelas has the 3x onsale for $99 I think you guys made my mind. I think I will get one..

Herter's FowlTech™ Plus Waterfowl 4-in-1 Parka - Regular
The 100% waterproof, breathable, wind-proof lining in the 4-in-1 parka is impermeable to moisture, but it lets condensed perspiration escape. Each has a 100% nylon Taslan™ oxford outer shell for lasting toughness with a smooth 210-denier nylon interior for non-binding movement and easy on and off. And on those chilly days, you'll appreciate the lightweight, ultra-warm Hollofil®. The outer shell has a nylon lining and is equipped with expandable bellow-pockets with shell loops, hook-and-loop-secured storm flaps and pass-behind handwarmer pockets. The upper chest pockets have shell loops and hook-and-loop-secured storm flaps, and the interior mesh storage pockets are zippered. Designed with anti-bind articulating elbows and an interior wind skirt, it has a detachable hood and extendible collar. Neoprene interior cuffs keep out water. The parka also has a two-way front zipper with snap-down storm flap. Reversible liner's camo side has slash pockets and zippered chest pockets with shell loops, rib-knit collar and waist, and neoprene cuffs. The quilted solid-color reverse side has slash handwarmer pockets with hook-and-loop closures. Imported.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Coat

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:38 pm

Mine is not very breathable. I am not sure that it has the gortex type stuff in it. However, it is a coat that is built to last. I bought it 3-4 years ago and it is still even great shape even though I hunt hard. I have friends that want to buy it from me right now. Unless the change their ways, Herters makes great coats.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:39 pm

thanks ks, you have made my mind up.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:30 pm

Sounds like a good peice of equipment my only concern is the hook and loop closure(velcro) maybe its just me but the stuff wears out and is always full of stuff like cattail fluff and so forth any comments or suggestions - I alredy got a button down version just wondering if I'm missing somthing.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:33 pm

I would get the coat if it was me...I do need at coat, is that at cabelas?
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Huh

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:49 pm

Hook and loop closure on what part?
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:52 pm

In the description it says on storm flaps I took that to mean on the pocket flaps not trying to talk anybody out of buying one just pointing it out.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Herters

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:42 pm

Don't worry about it. My herters is the only winter coat I have. It has been hunted hard and worn every day in the winter for 4 years. The velcro still works good. It takes a long time to wear it down. I wouldn't worry about it. I've still never had any problems except for when my golves get caught in the velcro. Unless you have nothing better to do than play with your velcro in the blind you shouldn't have any trouble.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:57 am

Yes, cabelas has the coat in thier bargain cave for $99. Regualrly $170. It is in transit to my house as we speak... Will let you guys know how it works.

Its been so dang hot here I wont need it for a while!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:23 pm

Well I finally got the coat in the mail. So far I really like it, it seems like a great quality coat. Plus they had the mossy oak shaddow grass which I really like. So the coat matches me old waders...

If any big fellas like me are looking for a nice hunting coat they only had 3XL and it was $108 shipped to my door.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:16 pm

thats a heck of a deal 98 i wear 3x too. there probly gone now
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:35 pm

i wish i wore a 3x i have been looking at picking one of those coats up tell me what you guys think of them
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mattuluz » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:03 pm

I have the Cabelas coat and have had major problem with the zipper. When I zip it up past my neck, there is a piece of the coat that is cloth that gets in the zipper and locks it up. I just ruined the zipper this morning on a field hunt trying to pull the fabric out of the zipper. It tore 4 teeth right out of the zipper. They (cabellas) are sending me a new one but, still , it is the middle of my freakin season, and it was the only coat that fit me.
mattuluz
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum