Duck Hunting Forum banner

Good pair of waders for mild temps????

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Hoosier Drake 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a good pair of waders to hunt simi cold temps..(20 at the coldest). Should I go with 3mm or 5mm? What do you guys think of the DU waders?

#2 ·
I really dont think the mm has a whole lot to do with it, as long as you wear warm layers underneath. I have had propably 10 pairs of waders that I can recall. The most comfortable being Lacrosse brush tuffs but they lasted 14 mos. The toughest and my favorite being The ROCKY flooded timberstalker, 4 years. Which is the longest I have ever had a pair of waders. As far as the DU waders I believe they are made my mad dog which is Stearns whom I have not had good luck with. Most all of the ones I have bought have been 5mm and Im sure our climates are round about the same. Somedays you just have to sweat a little.

#3 ·
I use 3mm in temps down to 20's. Work well for me even in the 70's. Good compromise as you can always put more layers on underneath, but you can't remove layers from a 5mm suit. Redheads have proven good to me.

#4 ·
skip the neoprene completely and go with a lightweight breathable.

Cabelas DryPlus is a good one as is Lacrosse's SwampFox (what i have).

i hunt warm early season temps where ANY neoprene will kill ya trying to walk any distance...down to sub-freezing temps (20 or so) with no problems. i will wear a fleece layer under the waders in the colder temps as i usually hunt standing in waist deep water.

#5 ·
RedHead® Bone Dry® Hobbs Creek™ Waders for Men

Features:
Tough, resilient rubber is sandwiched between 2 layers of lightweight 3-ply nylon jersey for a 100% waterproof barrier
Proven more abrasion resistant than rubber, canvas, or nylon
Camo boot-foot keeps your outline hidden in the blind
Boot lined with 600 grams of Thinsulate™ Insulation
Chest Waders have a large inside pocket, an inner drawstring, and belt loops.

I got them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.