Boot waders vs sock waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Boot waders vs sock waders

Postby panthersfan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:35 pm

i am looking to buy a new pair of waders and want you guys opinion. I currently have sock waders and wear a 600 gram pair of boots but my feet freeze. What should i do. I am worried that boot waders will be uncomfortable walking and most are rubber boots dont rubber crack and get cold? Normally once rubber gets cold it dosent go back. I live ion myrtle beach sc so it dosent snow but sometimes it does get cold and i am tired of my feet freezing. HELP!!!!
Jonathan
panthersfan
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:39 am

many manufactures make waders with heavy insulated boots. My suggestion is to find a nice pair and try them on with heavy socks so that they are comfortable to walk in. I use cabela's 1600's and they are very comfortable to walk in and very durable.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby huntingrdr » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:59 pm

I just bought me a new pair of hodgman 1200 waders. I use to have sock waders and my feet would always freeze i them. I went out and got me a pair of boot waders and my feet stay warm all the time. I love them!
huntingrdr
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:36 pm

Boot Waders hands down. With sock waders all that is separating your foot from the water is a thin layer of neoprene and your socks. My feet never get cold, I wear one pair of wool socks in my boot foot waders(1000grams of thinsulate) and they are great.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

waders

Postby fishmunkee » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:26 am

I love my sock/breathable waders for the early part of the season for the mobility and comfort but when the mercury dips (and it really dips up here in Wisconsin) they don't cut it. I just got a pair of Cabelas 1600s this season and was not cold at all in the ice water. They do take a LONG time to dry out after I filled them on the last water hunt of the season (stupid, stupid , stupid). I guess all the insulation really holds a lot of water.
fishmunkee
hunter

Sock Waders?

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:08 pm

I have boot waders but I hunt in Florida. A big problem I have had with Boot waders is when I sink in the muck it is real hard to pull out. How do sock waders do when you sink up to your waste in the muck? How durable are they, would they puncture easily from sticks, oysters etc.?
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby TXskilletwacker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:42 am

hey guys, don't know about the oyster repellency of sock waders, but i've had both kinds... i will take a pare of booted waders ANY DAY, HANDS DOWN!!!

not only does this fat boy NOT have to tie another set of shoestrings, but they are easier to put on and off. also, you don't have to worry about the mud sucking you shoe off because your boot is attached, and the are much warmer. of course sock waders are a tad bit more comfortable to trek in due to less bulkiness, but still, i have to have the boots. i have been spoiled way too long! just my $0.02!

:mrgreen:
if i could make a scented candle, i'd make call it... gunpowder in the sunrise! or wet dog, swamp mud and gun smoke!
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:34 am

can't even believe this is a question... i've had both and you got to be kidding right?? BOOT WADERS ARE ATLEAST ONE MILLION TIMES BETTER!! I don't find my cabelas ultimate warriors and more or less comfortable than my rocky hunting boots
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby akbrett » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Interesting responses. I think a lot of it has to do with how much walking you end up doing. If you aren't climbing a lot of hills and putting the miles on then the boot foot waders probably are the way to go. I only own sock foot waders with several types of boots to match the rivers I am hunting/fishing in. I use my waders for 10 months of the year here in Alaska and I have never had a problem with cold feet. What I do know is that there is no way you are going to get the same amount of ankle support in a pair of boot foot waders that you get from a pair of sock foot waders with good boots.
akbrett
hunter

What's That Smell

Postby dloop » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:23 pm

Sock waders are easier to keep clean. You can turn 'em fully inside out to wash and dry.

Of course some might say if your waders smell good you aren't serious about the sport.
dloop
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:54 am

go with boot waders, I have a pair of boot waders, and I have had a few problems with my boots getting stuck. This next season, I am going to pick up some Bogbusters from Cabelas. They have a strap on them that goes across the foot to keep it on a bit better. Make sure you can try them one, sizes can be kinda odd.
Riverjumper
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum