marsh layout boat

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

marsh layout boat

Postby DuckPlayer » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:03 pm

I don't know if anyone here has one if you do let me know how it works. I started building a one man today for these shallow sparse marshes we got around here basing it on a small 2 man bass boat (plastic) and i'm going to build a pvc pipe frame to make it sort of like a coffin blind. gonna put some chunks of pvc pipe around it to stuff some handfuls of natural vegitation in around the burlap camo i got to make the cover out of. it should only ride about 12 to 15 inches out of the water when done. also thinking about gettin a white cover for it for in the feilds once snows on the ground it'll pull like a sled. any helpful hints or sugestions would be great. let me know your ideas.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby talltimber » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm

If you can, put a transom on it. A trolling motor, 3.5 nissan outboard, or even a small mudbuddy/weedwacker type motor are awful handy to have at times. It can save you a lot of poling in deeper water :thumbsup:
talltimber
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:00 pm

thanks for the advice :thumbsup: it does have a transom on each end and is rated at 7 1/2 horse i think. It's 8 1/2 feet long and about 3 1/2 ft wide. Here where i hunt most of the time waters only a couple of ft deep at max but usually just a couple of inches we'll have 40 acres covered in water but its deepest spot might only be 12 inches mainly was planning on just pulling it into position i guess. the other tough part about hunting here is that there is usually no cover other than some very thin 8 to 10 inch tall grass clumps here and there. We have areas with more cover but the birds love the big open areas the best so i'm trying to figure out a good wat to hide as they'll make a WIDE berth around any coventional blinds. It's some awsome shooting if you can get hidden enough!!!
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum