Rig em right jerk string

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Rig em right jerk string

Postby stlOU » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:40 pm

I just bought one on sale. Got great ratings on Cabelas sight. a common complaint was the black string spooking ducks in clear water. Anyone had that problem? I was wondering if anyone tied painting the string-would it last?
Other complaint was small swivels, so I am going to replace them.
I wan to get some movement in the water next year, seemed like the best cost/weight solution. any other tips?

I'm dome with my Mojo, seems like the birds have figure that trick out
stlOU
hunter

Re: Rig em right jerk string

Postby POKER1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:30 am

Have heard of folks say that strings spook ducks. I think if they get close enough to see a string you should have already pulled the trigger. I make my own. You can get everything at Academy and put one together for half the price. In the Kayak section you can find the folding anchor and bungie cord needed. Hit the galvanized anchor with the rattle can. Then pick up the string of choice and snap swivels in the catfishing section. I use the green braided line (non tared) and large black snap swivels.
POKER1
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:25 am

I have the same jerk string, I just painted the anchor brown when I got it. I also took a piece of 1/2" rebar and bent it into a J shape, I use that as a stake at the water's edge and run the line under the curved part of the J, it keeps the line under water and almost invisible. I haven't ever noticed anything in the setup spooking the birds.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:15 pm

I have a couple weights made with lead, eye bolt and a vienna sausage can for the mold. :biggrin: I clip a carribeaner through the eye bolt and near the boat clip that weight over the string to keep it down at the boat. At most the string is exposed 2' out from the boat before it disappears.
POKER1
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:23 pm

If you are using the jerk string the ripples on the water does a pretty good job of hiding the string under water.

Ditto on using a weight in front of the blind to keep the string submerged
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby stlOU » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:35 pm

thanks for the advice. good call on the j hook/weights.
can't believe have to wait 9 months to use it

oh well, bring on turkey season
stlOU
hunter

Postby RShockley » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Make sure the bolt is tight before throwing it out and use a flat black paint on the anchor. Use the weights or j hook like the others explained to keep the string down. The weights work great out of a boat or in deeper watar. The J hook seems to work better in shallow water hunting on the shoreline.
RShockley
hunter

Postby stlOU » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Rshockley- sounds like you know from experience?
either way, sounds like something I would do :beer:
stlOU
hunter

Postby RShockley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:38 pm

stlOU wrote:Rshockley- sounds like you know from experience?
either way, sounds like something I would do :beer:

Yeah the first day I used it I tossed it out and notice that the anchor went a bit farther then the rest of it. Luck for me I was in pretty shallow water and was able to get it back. Although I have heard that some people were not able to get the anchor back and rig em right sent them another anchor and bolt with no questions asked. I really like using it with 3 decoy spreaders. You can put 12 decoys on one string. You can do the same thing with the mojo jerk rig and spreaders but having to use a stake kind of suck. It only works in really shallow water and has a tendency to get pulled out in soft ground. I really like the anchor alot better.
RShockley
hunter

Postby stlOU » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:57 am

I looked at the one with the stake, went with the anchor, glad to hear you like it. I'll have to keep an eye out for spreaders
stlOU
hunter

Postby baydog44 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:45 am

If they see the black string it is time to shoot---
baydog44
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum