Who makes the best duck hunting Jacket?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Who makes the best duck hunting Jacket?

Postby m duckwalker » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:45 am

I've had the same duck hunting jacket for years and now I have outgrown it. Who do you think makes the best duck hunting jacket and y?
m duckwalker
Newb

Re: Who makes the best duck hunting Jacket?

Postby DUCoastie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:57 pm

Drake, their products never fail and are made with quality materials.

Except for their waders :lol3:
DUCoastie
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:06 pm

DUCoastie wrote:Drake, their products never fail and are made with quality materials.

And the parkas and pants.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Bgold » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:12 am

whitewater makes an awesome parka
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby AUduckman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:46 am

I love my Drake MST quarter zip. Not bulky, waterproof and very warm. I have heard some people who had a few complaints with these jackets and Drake in general. But I havent found this to be the case. Also, the features on the Drake Jacket make is a great choice.

On the otherhand, I dont think that I have ever heard any complaints at all regarding any Cabelas jackets. And they stand by their products 100%.
AUduckman
hunter

Postby gseith » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:41 pm

I got the cabelas brush busting wading jacket and would recommend it. It fits great and is very warm.
gseith
hunter

Postby scott0190 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:05 am

cabelas 4 in 1 is what i have used this season it is quite warm only wear a t shirt under it in 30 degree only flaw is it is a little stout around me and will catch the butt of my gun when i throw up sometimes, but i just put the jacket under my waders and good to go. i bought this jacket because i know drakes arent waterproof and as far as i can tell this cabelas is atleast so far.
scott0190
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:26 am

Drake MST was a christmas gift and has proven to be an excellent product.

Drake MST is top notch (i.m.o) durability / water resistance + warm

For heavier the cabelas 4 in 1 is great!!!
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:05 am

I love my Drake jacket, and REALLY love my EQ System waders.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby sherlockbonez » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:34 am

I wear drake, but I don't feel they are great quality. I love them because it's not too bulky, but I doubt they'll last 15 years like my last pair of bibs.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby Bgold » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:07 am

I hate to sound like a broken record here... but I’ve been hunting ducks since I was old enough to hold a 20 gauge and the highest quality/ ruggedly constructed jacket I have ever worn is the Whitewater Ducks Unlimited Northwinds 3 in 1 parka, which I got as a gift for xmas so I wore it half this season and will be wearing all next season (and probably many many more to come). It’s 100 bucks off on cabelas right now, probably because its the end of duck season. Again, I can’t speak enough for the quality of this coat...
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby brianc142 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:49 am

Columbia and Cabelas are hard to beat.
brianc142
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:56 am

I have the Cabela's Dry Fowl-Dry Plus 4 - 1. I love it. This past season, I hunted in sideways freezing rain, 5 below with a 25 mph wind, and everything in between, and could not be happier. Always dry and comfy. It fits perfectly, and has all the features I need. On warmer days, I can remove the liner, and still be camo'd up, or if it's cold but dry, I can remove the shell, and still be as warm as I want to be. All sorts of options, that all came in handy this past season. My only complaint is that the sleeves are a bit tight around the wrists. It's hard to pull the sleeves over my gloves, hard but not impossible. But too much material to pull the gloves over the sleeves. I used to wear some off brand that I bought for $100, but it was all problems. Too many to even list. I am sold on the Cabela's Dry Fowl - Dry Plus 4 - 1. Mine is a XXL, and I think I paid $209 for it.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby DUCoastie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
DUCoastie wrote:Drake, their products never fail and are made with quality materials.

I have their 4 in 1 and paired it with their down vest. All the way up here we need down to stay warm.

I also have a Cabela's 4 in 1 that I got for a gift I've worn it a few times and it would be my 2nd choice after the drake.
DUCoastie
hunter

Postby duaney2 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:53 pm

gseith wrote:I got the cabelas brush busting wading jacket and would recommend it. It fits great and is very warm.

Same here after two seasons of use, zero issues. Very comfortable and extremely durable.
duaney2
hunter

Postby NapalmCheese » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:08 am

I have a Browning XPO that's served me quite well this season. Kept me dry, kept me warm, room for layers underneath. The pockets, seem to get moist, but I think that was all from my wet gloves.

Oh yeah, removable hood for the win!
NapalmCheese
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:35 am

DUCoastie wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

I have their 4 in 1 and paired it with their down vest. All the way up here we need down to stay warm.

I also have a Cabela's 4 in 1 that I got for a gift I've worn it a few times and it would be my 2nd choice after the drake.

My Drake parka (pullover) and pants are the uninsulated EST version, so it didn't take long to learn they leak.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:49 am

FILSON
hankyorke
hunter

Postby redneck_medic_88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Drake has really improved their quality in the past couple years. I wear the drake mst quarter zip 99% of the time and on the coldest days I use their 4 in 1 wader coat, you cant beat the versatility and quality of these two. Word of advice though I would stay away from their waders, their nothing special your just paying for that duck head emblem
redneck_medic_88
Newb

Postby 2 labs Rdy 2 Hunt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Have to go with River's West here. When you're hunting in the North Wet, you need something that can handle rain. Not many dry days during waterfowl, when you have over 60 straight days of rain.
The only reason to work is for funds to buy toys.
2 labs Rdy 2 Hunt
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Just finished my first season with the new Columbia Omni Heat Wader Jack. I love it. Warm, lots of pockets and light weight where you can regulate your insulation with what's under it.
Not cheap, but my vote.
Filson= a lifetime (because they don't wear out) of sweaty pits (no breathe) and no camo
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 am

Just tech-washed and nik-waxed my Drake pullover jacket to put it up until next season and found the stitching was letting go between back and hood. Grrr...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:18 am

I have a Cabelas dry-fowl, a Browning and a Columbia and all are equally excellent. All keep me dry and warm. The browning is 20+ years old and still is in good shape. For the money its hard to beat the Cabelas dry fowl plus.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:54 pm

California Sprig wrote: For the money its hard to beat the Cabelas dry fowl plus.

Pretty much sums up all I have to say on the subject, except:

Avoid these like the plague:
Mount'n Prairie
Outside Edge

On these two 4-in-1 jackets, the waterproof membrane is in the INSIDE layer....talk about stupid.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bosco11 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:14 am

Just bought a gore tex at Mack's for 1/2 off. If you want an outer shell that is waterproof Gore tex is the only thing that will truly keep you dry. I also like Cabelas and Columbia gear. I have the Drake 3 in 1 and it has been a good jacket but not the warmest thing when it is really cold and the wind is clipping.
Bosco11
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum