Who makes the best duck hunting Jacket?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Who makes the best duck hunting Jacket?

Postby T Man » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 pm

MontanaMatt wrote:I have the Cabela's Dry Fowl-Dry Plus 4 - 1. I love it. This past season, I hunted in sideways freezing rain, 5 below with a 25 mph wind, and everything in between, and could not be happier. Always dry and comfy. It fits perfectly, and has all the features I need. On warmer days, I can remove the liner, and still be camo'd up, or if it's cold but dry, I can remove the shell, and still be as warm as I want to be. All sorts of options, that all came in handy this past season. My only complaint is that the sleeves are a bit tight around the wrists. It's hard to pull the sleeves over my gloves, hard but not impossible. But too much material to pull the gloves over the sleeves. I used to wear some off brand that I bought for $100, but it was all problems. Too many to even list. I am sold on the Cabela's Dry Fowl - Dry Plus 4 - 1. Mine is a XXL, and I think I paid $209 for it.

Im right there with ya on this one! I was sold on the drake 3+1 in 1 until I read the reviews from people on Cabelas website. I ended up getting the Cabelas jacket and absolutely love it. I got mine for Christmas but it was bought on sale for 169, much cheaper than the Drake
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:55 pm

The Chinese.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:46 pm

DuckinFool wrote:The Chinese.

Do you contribute anything or just knock hunting gear because it isnt made in America?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:39 am

He's actually Japanese and still POed about the days when Japan was a Chinese penal island where the Japanese were said to be the offspring of prisoners and monkeys, and the Chinese called them "dwarf monkey thieves".
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Bgold » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:41 pm

T Man wrote:
DuckinFool wrote:The Chinese.

Do you contribute anything or just knock hunting gear because it isnt made in America?

I thought his comment was pretty funny...lol
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:02 am

Stay away from Columbia they look good but as soon as the sprayed on waterproofing is gone the water proofing is gone, It does not take long, I sent one back for leaking right out of the box and the replacement leaked just the same, I have the latest version now and it lasted one year, now it is no longer water proof I bought it in the middle of the season and water beeded up and ran off, the next season I pull it out of the closet for the first rainy day and no more beeding I sat and wached the rain drops hit and soak right in :mad: Having come from Alaska I learned that if you trust what companys say about their gear it can get you Killed! Columbia camo patterns look good but It is yuppi gear for people that don't really need gear that performs. We buy it and get screwed :hammer:

Hat
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Flat Hat.
All in all, I am on my second Columbia Widgeon in 15 years. It pisses me off, but at this rate it costs $15 a year to have a good, comfy, waterproof, nice camo-jack. I am pretty sure I am not a yuppy and I love my new Widgeon Wader Jack. I will say that the idea of BREATHABLE waterproof does not exist. As for Filson/McAllister, the look good and the quality is great, but you'd mine as well wrap your nuts in plastic wrap, they don't breath at all and I find them extremely uncomfortable.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 am

I have the Cabela's jacket that has the goertex in it and it has performed very well after three years, I can't say the same about the columbia jackets. I have had two and they were not waterproof after about a year or two.
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11 am

I guess I'm gonna be the oddball one here but I bought the field and stream 3 layer bomber jacket from dicks. I think it cost 129? But employee discount helps a little bit. The shell is in Max-4 and it has plenty of pockets and is very heavy duty. Very waterproof too. I wore it on some really cold goose hunts (temp was around 5 to 10 with 15mph wind) and some very wet days and it kept me dry and warm. And like any other layer jacket, you can take out the layers if it gets warmer.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 am

The best quality gear in my opinion is Sitka gear, but you will pay and arm and a leg for it.
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:21 am

Love the sarcasm Fool, funny. I get slammed all the time for it on the Forum. No hard feelings.
As for Sitka, looks crazy, not much actual Waterfowl stuff though.
The hard balance is waterproof but breathable, warm but not bulky. It's tough.....
I would recommend that you buy whatever you can from LL Bean, it's kind of a dicky thing to do, but whenever your gear fails, just send it back.... I've done it a few times and it's no questions asked. Obviously if it's a flannel that you sore the heck out of, you got to be good about it. But something like a $250 jacket that's camo faded, or waterproofing failed, it's going back. I think Cab's and Mack's could learn from them. I just sent back a pair of McAllister Bibs to MPW. I wore them around the house to try them out and didn't like them, no breathing at all, very sweaty. If they give me slack about dog hair on them, we're gonna have a problem.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jdenny21 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:26 pm

DUCoastie wrote:Drake, their products never fail and are made with quality materials.

Except for their waders :lol3:

WRONG!!!!!!! :lol:
jdenny21
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:52 pm

rivers west

reasons its good. it is quite and warm and waterproof. great warranty some of them are usa made. fits like a sweatshirt so there is not much bulk...feels more natural to shoot.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby thebman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:34 am

COLUMBIA- hands down. See this post- http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=147126

I purchased a few Drake items and they all leak. Only a one year warranty. Junk.
thebman
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:35 am

duckkillerclyde wrote:rivers west

reasons its good. it is quite and warm and waterproof. great warranty some of them are usa made. fits like a sweatshirt so there is not much bulk...feels more natural to shoot.

Rivers West has been the most waterproof of the too many "waterproof and breathable" jackets I've tried (Gortex era Cabelas, Columbia Omnitec, Drake whatever and Hodgman's whatever). However, it's no more breathable than the rest. Even with the vents zipped open, it's a cold weather only jacket. But when it's cold, I love my Rivers West Back Country jacket. Not only fits like an old favorite sweatshirt but feels comfy like one, too.

Yeah, yeah, real waterfowlers don't care 'bout bein' "comfy," but this one thinks it beats snot out of being miserable.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Being cold does not make you tuff, just means your cold & stupid. Nothing makes me madder than misjudging and under-dressing or over dressing. I suspect the problem with picking the right brand is that a particular production run of any jacket could be good or bad. I have bought the same insulated waterproof jackets for deer hunting that were the same model but one was noisy and one was not. Its probably a crap shoot with most brands.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:56 pm

I keep overdressing covered by layering stuff I can peel and have surprisingly good luck remedying underdressing just by pulling a rain slicker from the boat box. Can't be the one to say "uncle" in my job.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Ducksmackingnracking » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:26 pm

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Whitewat ... l+Products

This jacket is by far the best on the market. After buying the Cabelas version of this jacket and then trying on this one there is no comparison. It comes with everything you could need in a waterfowl jacket. It's a little more expensive but this puppy is built to last!
Ducksmackingnracking
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:12 pm

i got the drake MST quarter zip for christmas and even when it was 0 out on the lake that a longsleeve shirt and my waders was all i wore. Gotta say i love the MST quarter zip but from reviews i have been seeing and hearing from friends i wont be buying waders from them.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:17 am

quacknstack6 wrote:i got the drake MST quarter zip for christmas and even when it was 0 out on the lake that a longsleeve shirt and my waders was all i wore. Gotta say i love the MST quarter zip but from reviews i have been seeing and hearing from friends i wont be buying waders from them.

The problem I have with the drake is (at least on mine) it is fleece like material on the bottom and I like to wear it under my waders and if it rains a lot it will wick the water and I am soaked and it feels funny to me to wear the fleece on the outside of my waders as I have tried this to avoid getting wet
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby drifter360 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:28 pm

Cabela's Dri-Fowl Dry Plus get my vote :thumbsup:
duckkillerclyde wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else always want to poke puppies in the belly?
drifter360
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:34 pm

I've had a 25 year old hand-me-down old school camo jacket from field&stream for 5 years and it hasn't let me down yet.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby Forester » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:40 am

I have a Herter's FowlTech Plus Waterfowl 4-in-1 Wading Jacket. I love it. Keeps the rain out, and the sweat in, thats how you know you have quality rain gear thats waterproof! They have velcro on a couple of the pockets that will allow shells and stuff to fall out if you bend over, easy fix though. Warm too.
Forester
hunter

Postby Going the Distance » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:25 pm

The best jacket, I would have to say is columbia. I have had my 4 in 1 wigeon for about eight years and it hasn't let me down yet. The removable inner shell is great for different temperatures and the hood zips on instead of just velcro. I hunt from 70 degree weather (teal season) to about 5 degrees and I can wear this jacket through it all. I like the outer shell by itself for walking. You can walk through anything, thickets, briers, buck brush, and it wont effect it. Not even a scratch. Its also great because both shells are very waterproof. But if you do some how get it really wet, I guess submersion, then they dry very quickly. I have fallen down and got it wet before and it dryed out in a tree during the hunt. The only con to this jacket is one: that I cant find another like it, but two: that I've noticed a little aging on the zippers, but I am very impressed with the performance of this jacket.
Going the Distance
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat May 14, 2011 3:18 pm

drifter360 wrote:Cabela's Dri-Fowl Dry Plus get my vote :thumbsup:

YEP !!!!!!
The Drake
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum