"Waterproof" clothing

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

"Waterproof" clothing

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:17 am

I bought a Red Head Canvasback 4 in 1 parka last year from Bass pro. These coats look to be made out of regular fabic but they are sold as waterproof. I have only used it in light rain last year. But opening day for duck in October this year it just medium rained all day and by 11AM I was soaked on the shoulders and back. It happened again when using it. To Bass Pros credit they said I can return it and get the value of it and get something else, but they are over 80 miles from me and it's a huge pain for something that does not live up to what its sold to do. I love the jacket except for not being able to stay dry when it rains. I had to put camp dry all over the outer shell and not its dry but that will not last. I bought spartan pants and 2xl coat to go over it and that works great.

Anyone else have these kind of problem with stuff they say is waterproof?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dan61psu » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:47 am

Are you sure it said waterproof and not water resistant?
dan61psu
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:32 pm

Cupped, here is my suggestion;

I equate bass pro shops with wal-mart..................they SUCK, I won't even honor them with capital letters. However, I'm sure they will give you a refund. Get your money and take it to Cabelas.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:36 pm

columbia hasn't let very many people down over the years :thumbsup:
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby boykinhntr » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:53 pm

Unless it says Gor-tex, its NOT WATERPROOF in my book. I have had many different kinds but gor-tex is the only that I have had hold up. Hope it works out for you.
boykinhntr
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:03 pm

I had Herters brand of waterproofing hold up, it was called Fowl Tech as I recall, but Cabelas bought them out a few years back. I bet Cabelas brand would also hold up well, and they have great warranty in my experience. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckplucker » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:40 pm

Gor-Tex and the Cabela's Dry Plus have both been totally waterproof for me thus far. And if it were me, I would for sure take it back... I don't like bass pro anyway... THen shop at Cabela's!
The life cycle of a hunter... hunt, eat, sleep if there is time, then go hunt again.

Chuck Norris doesn't go hunting, becasue hunting infers the possibility of failure. Rather, Chuck Norris goes killing.
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Gore Tex or Columbia are the only way to go, sure its more expensive but then again you get what you pay for.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:20 am

Here is what is says from their website:

"Canvasback System - Built for those with the determination to hunt through anything!
Our hunting experts have developed this new waterfowl series to be the finest set of all-weather outerwear you've ever owned. Each piece is designed to keep you warm and dry, and to allow you to adapt to changing conditions while remaining comfortable at all times. All styles feature a rugged, fully-seam-sealed 250-denier taslan oxford shell with Teflon® DWR coating and 100% waterproof/windproof/breathable lamination, nylon lining. Designed for easy organization and mobility, with well-designed pocket schemes and heavy-duty YKK® zippers throughout. Color: Advantage® MAX-4 HD™. Machine wash. Imported.
"

Here is the problem "Teflon® DWR coating" I used to own a carpet and furniture business and Teflon wears off!! It needs to be reapplied every year. It does not state that clearly in the ad.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:25 am

boykinhntr wrote:Unless it says Gor-tex, its NOT WATERPROOF in my book. I have had many different kinds but gor-tex is the only that I have had hold up. Hope it works out for you.

Ive seen that stuff not even work...this last year I was out deer hunting in a good rain all day long and the clothes didn't hold up, I was soaked all day, but I think it happens when the rain runs down your neck and then gets onto your clothes.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:05 am

Over the last 25 yrs. I have bought Gortex hats, coats, pants,gloves, boots and they all leak. Ok for a shower but not a down pour. I just bought a new jacket from Drake , so far so good but havn't put it through a real test yet. The trouble I found is because it is a membrane you can push water right through it just by leaning your back on the blind and pants leak if you sit down . I think all the membrane breathable stuff is crap, Gortex included.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:56 am

I live by a Columbia outlet and got their 4 in 1 parka for $65! It is nice. I also have a guide series from Gander Mountain that I have worn for 5 years and I have never got wet.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:50 pm

Drive the 80 miles and return it. You get what you pay for - Get Gore Tex or get wet!- Cabelas will take anything back if it does not live up to its advertising.
tstrong
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:18 pm

I have several outfits that are Gore Tex, Wet skins, Columbia or Remington. They all work well. The Remington waterfowl series is good for hunting but for the real downpurs when I am out fishing I would trust the Columbia or Wetskins over my other gear.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby pec » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:49 pm

I actually have the same coat and have had no trouble with it as of yet. I've actually tripped on a submerged log with it on and went almost completely under except for the gun and my head. Stayed dry....don't know though. Mine's a few years old.
pec
hunter

Postby Mayday » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:32 pm

I hunted in early November, all one afternoon, in a pooring rain. I was wearing my new Ducks Unlimited Wetlands Parka. It was GREAT !!!!!! I would suggest that you take back what you are not happy with and re-invest in something else.
Mayday
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:41 am

from my perspective, Gortex doesn't cut it over time (especially gloves)....it wears out no matter how well you take care of it via the instructions......the best I have ever used for warmth and waterproof (with no real special care) is neoprene...if it is raining buckets, that jacket is the 'cat's meow" IMO
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Waterproof clothing

Postby mjlduckman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:25 am

Gor-tex in not the cure all, i've gotten wet many times when i've been covered head to toe with it. It has something to do with your body temp and the outside temp which really make it work.
Neoprene in pretty good and the newer designs are getting more comfortable with fleece linings and stuff.
Riverswest advertises something like browning's hydrofleece which is supposed to be the cat meow, i've seen it at Sportsmans warehouse and it's pretty expensive.
I believe to be truly waterproof, ya gotta wear the Grundens/Helley Hanson type stuff, it works for salmon and halibut fishing, but then ya sweat alot. JMHO
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum