which muck boot?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

which muck boot?

Postby zeus50 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 pm

what is the real difference between the muck boots? i was able to try on an elite and a max and aside from camo, i couldn't tell a difference? i saw the sport had a different tread...

i know they get great reviews, buy my concern is ankle support. in the description of the sport, it says more support. is this true?
zeus50
hunter

Re: which muck boot?

Postby gcs » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:38 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with Muck Boots, I have the green "Edgewater", good support, comfortable, but I find them somewhat "cold", the higher price more insulated ones seem to be built similar except for a foam insert in the sole. The material is supposed to wick moisture up and out of the boot, but the top is tight to the leg, so there is really no ventilation going on.
For temps down into the 30's, you'll be ok, but I'm betting they will be hot in warmer temps.
Cheapest I've found is from muckbootsonline, free shipping, and free returns if you need to exchange for a different size. I'm usually a 10, but the 11 fit better, plus you can fit a felt insole in there and warm that sucka up a little for colder temps.
Oh, they're made in China
Overall not bad, and some folks don't suffer as much with cold feet. Another option to look into is the XTRATUFF neoprene insulated.Made in America, VERY comfortable, I find them much warmer, the boot body is soft and pretty much ankle fit, these are the boots EVERYONE in Alaska wears. You can find them on ebay, the guy gets irregulars that have very small defects in appearance, mine was that one boot was 1/2" higher then the other, otherwise perfect. they also come in non-insulated, they run under half price of retail.
gcs
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:27 pm

i have the wetland, works great for me! the ankle support is good for me, ive never had a problem, and you can tell they'll be fine because the firmer rubber bootie comes up above the ankle, as well as they are harder to drive in because you cant bend the ankle. they are some of the most comturble boots ive ever worn. as for the diffrence between them, its all tread pattern (wetlands clean great!) and the woody max is the wamest they offer i belive.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:27 am

got a pair of plain olive wetlands they are SO warm my feet sweat bad but never seem to get cold!! My question is this WHY don't they take it up a peg or two and make waders?!!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:32 am

alanwebfoot wrote:got a pair of plain olive wetlands they are SO warm my feet sweat bad but never seem to get cold!! My question is this WHY don't they take it up a peg or two and make waders?!!!!

no joke! they'd be pretty light weight and I would buy them!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:36 am

Having both Wetland and Woody Max I'd say the Woody Max is built a little better and has a better arch support and lining (durability). If I were gonna buy one pair - I'd go Woody Max I think the mileage would be better. Two pair (Wetland and Woody) and they'll both last twice as long.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby zeus50 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:11 am

I ended up finding a pair of elites for 119.95 at a sports show here in Harrisburg. I wore them yesterday all day on a goose hunt. I just want to say "holy cow"!!!! Comfortable and warm. My feet did sweat. But were never cold. I learned the trick to fold them down to help cool off.

Awesome boot!!!
zeus50
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:14 am

I've got the Rangers and really like them!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:50 pm

To revisit this topic does anyone own any of the Delta Waterfowl muck boots? Believe they're called mudders. Or does anyone own any type of LaCrosse muck boots?

I'm looking to get a pair and the general consesus seems to be the Wetland or Woody Max but didn't hear anything about the other 2 brands.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:41 pm

I'd think any of the neoprene boots mighty hot for all but winter use in Central Texas. Know the Muck Boot craze came and went pretty quickly here in South Louisiana.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Well half the season is spent in waders treking through water but the other is spent on a boat, in a blind, or in a layout blind. Its the part out of the water where can't seem to keep my feet warm.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Johnnytheboy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Anyone tried Le Chameau ruber boots, I bought a cracking pair of the extreme weather ones fulled lined with 5mm neoprene, with a super think neoprene and felt undersole. One thing about them is they outlast muck boots for sure mines have seen loads of muck boots come and go!!

http://www.birstall.co.uk/products/le_c ... reme_.html
Johnnytheboy
hunter

which muck boot?

Postby DanJeffandJack » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:28 pm

I have the fieldblazers. The muck boot is just about the greatest boot in the world. One of my better purchases, but I wish I would have splurged and got the waterfowl version with an extra inch of protection.

Tapatalk
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby Rick Astley » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:02 am

What is everyone's opinion on the muck hoser boots? I've heard pretty solid arguments for and against all the other product lines and I was hoping to get the same kind of feedback from you guys. Here is what they look like: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/muck- ... ub_id=3427
Rick Astley
Newb

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 pm

i have the wetlands and love them if i wear them around any water i will pull them all the way up but if not they are rolled down and work great and you can even wear them with shorts and still look stylish or at least at a hunt test you do.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby lou_01 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:04 am

Going on my 5th year with the rangers, only thing i dont care to much for is the tread doesnt have traction like the others but the boot is durable.
lou_01
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:00 am

Have had the Ankle High Muck Co boots for many years - always in truck. They are good for wearing too the field, until you put on Waders. Edgewater's for maybe 4 or 5 yrs. Great deer hunting boot, finally put a pretty good snag on the outside, can't believe they still don't leak. Like them boots. Both pairs have been full of water many times, sweat in, had my sons stinky feet in them, they don't seem to sour or start stinking like most rubber boots. This morning I scouted in my new Wood Max. I like them cause they are tall. We covered at least a mile of ground. Just got to decide how tall you need em. I'll be using all 3 pairs, depending on what I'm doing.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Gulfcoast » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 am

Rick: Every dog trainer (but me) in the spillway in Norco has on muck boots/shoes near 'bout year round. They must have not gotten the memo the craze was over. :wink: I just wear Teva's and brave the fire ants 'cause the Mucks get HOT in the summer time. :lol3:
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:17 pm

WW I own a pair of Lacrosse Alpha lites and love them, they arent insulated but are very comfortable and I normally will wear them about all season with a pair of wool socks.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby Bakercountyboy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:54 am

I use the Lacrosse alpha mudlite snake boot. I like them ALOT better then the mucks i had. More comfortable then the mucks.
I wear these when i hog hunt with dogs and my feet Never sweat http://www.basspro.com/LaCrosse-Alpha-M ... 040501178/
Bakercountyboy
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:38 am

Big fan of my Wetlands. I live in Canada and get alot of wear out of them, The get put away in April, just cause they are way to warm, and pulled out in late Sept/Oct. They are my goto boots for everything, running the dogs, snowblowing the driveway, and of course hunting. Great traction, light, warm and dry. Only have one complaint, the uppers are prone to hole from corn stalks, Punch two hole the first time out. Fixed with sho-goo and good as new, I now wear my pants/bibs over my boots now.

For whatever reason the don't seem to collect huge amounts of mud, all my other boots gather 20 pounds each in the muddy fields. It must be the tread or material of the bottoms.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Whichever ones you get, make sure they have the grips on the bottom. I had a pair with the side to side slits for grips and had no traction.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum