Layout blind types and quality, how to pick?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Layout blind types and quality, how to pick?

Postby thaner » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:23 pm

We do not have a layout blind and have not used one other than home made stuff. Money is not a big issue but if it works fine and doesn’t cost a bunch all the better. I mostly hunt cut corn and walk in. We hunt maybe one day a week of and on during the season so we set-up and pull everything out each day we hunt. I hunt with a partner from a short box extended cap pick-up so we need fairly compact for haling and reasonably light for packing in. I also want something that is very comfortable; a couple of old back surgeries make comfort important. Easy to set upright to shoot would be a plus. In that is easy and fast to set-up seams like an obvious desire.

Some of the models that fold flat and do not fold up look a little difficult to live with for storage and haling around on windy days. What are the pro's and con's of the different blinds and which should I consider or stay away from. A little help narrowing the field would be good.

I am about 6' 240 and wide shouldered so I need some elbow room. My partner is about 6'-6" av. build.

I have heard some good stuff about the x-lander. Finisher looks a little bulky. Heard some good stuff about the power hunter, but it looks like you can't hide your gun inside and I heard they were a little small. Cabela's interceptor looks interesting but I haven’t heard anything about them. Eliminator looks good but what's the difference between the sport utility and pro-guide?

I plan to try and stop at Bass Pro and Cabela's when I am in Detroit next week to take a look, but I haven’t been able to really check them out much in the past when I have been there. I usually get there before they have them well stocked or like now when they don’t have a lot of them around. Hope they have them all in stock and accessible for some hands on. Your personal experience would probably be better.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:45 pm

Avery migrator. I am 6'2 and 315, probally the widest shoulders you will see. (ex-football playa) plenty of room.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:51 am

I have an Eliminator SUB, very comfortable, not very portable, if you dont have to walk far its not bad. The thing can be a pain to set up, there are six pins that hold it together, and if its cold it can be difficult to get it all working together right. I mostly use it in the field where I can drive right up to the spot. But it is real comfortable, one field we were hunting the farmer double booked, so I went out the night before, and slept in my blind.
Power hunters are not for big guys, and they are not that comfortable. But are very light and portable. The flip lid can also be a pain while tracking birds behind you, and if its windy it will just come back down on you while shooting, you have to use a hand to flip it, where with two doors on other blinds you just sit-up and not worry about the doors.
Finishers are real nice, the pack up fairly small, and are real easy to put up. Also very comfortable, and plenty of room for a big guy. I have also heard good things about Xlanders, but no firsthand experience with them.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby thaner » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:54 pm

Great info, keep it coming!

Is the Migratory easy to put up and take down and how does it collapse? Is it very heavy?
thaner
hunter

Postby locked n landing » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:14 am

Riverjumper is right about the Power Hunter. I am 5'7" and about 170 lbs. The blind works great for me but it would be like a mummy bag for you.
I also have one of the Avery Fieldhouse blinds. It has plenty of room, even for a big guy, but it is not that easy to see out of and sometimes hard to take down. I bought it first then went with the Power Hunter.
locked n landing
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:28 pm

Final Approach Top Gun- last a heck of a lot longer and very roomy!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:54 pm

This is my experience. Final Approach is Cadillac qulaity. Avery is not.

I have Avery Migrator, and being the size you 2 are, you definately need the bigger blind than a finisher. It can easily fold up to fit into the back of a short box PU. The basicac frame size is the same as the FA PG or TG. But it is not as sturdy or as well built as a FA IMO.

Now the 05 models of Final Approach Pro guide or Top Gun (both are same size, the top gun has a wp floor) can now collapse to fit into a short box PU too. The earlier models (04 and older) do not and are 7' L. The WP floor can be important when it is raining and a wet field (wet butt).

The FA Legacy is even bigger yet, but they quit making them this fall, a few dealers have them yet though.

There are other makers, but I have no experience with them, but few seem cheesier, Yugo type of quailty from the looks, so I'm a bit skeptical.

I'm selling my Migrator and will be buying another FA if that tells you anything. :smile:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thaner » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:12 pm

Thanks for all the info. I just got back from Detroit on business. Went to Bass Pro, hate that store. Every time I go there they don't have what I want to see and I can't ever find any help. Went to Cabela's and got there after an hour drive to find out they have winter hours. Couldn't believe it! I got to spend a hole 35 minutes there. At lease there was about 6 people withing eye site most of the time.

Anyway I checked out some of the blinds. X-lander was very light but I didn't care for it. It wasn't very comfortable for my back. I saw a Cabela's and for the price it could be OK, but cheep. Looked as some other also. The best one I saw that looked the most comfortable with the longest and thickest backrest was the finisher. They had a Eliminator Sport utility blind and pro guide, but they were trying to throw me out of the store so I couldn't try them out. I did note NO on the Pro Guide but don't remember why. I think it was that the seat was kind of thin and hit the floor without a lot of support, but who knows. Did get to see the GHG shells and Final Approach shells. Very nice. I don’t know how the final approach shells hold up but I like the looks of them, but that’s another post. Didn’t get to blow the SMH, disappointed. I am trying to figure out why everyone likes the reel geese better than the outlaws. I have a doz. Outlaws and thought the reel geese didn’t look as good, but that’s another post.

I need to go back again and spend more time after I get a little more feed back.

How do the top gun and pro guide compare and differ from the finisher for comfort and options?
thaner
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum