Blind Bags...again

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Blind Bags...again

Postby tealslayerblw » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:47 pm

so im most defenitley going to pick up an avery blind bag...but im not sure on weather to get the pitbag, or the blind bag i dont need a whole lot of room, but i need enough im kind of leaning twards the blind bag what do you guys have?
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:19 pm

The regular blind bag will propably be plenty enough. Thats what I have I carry one thick pair of gore tex and thick face mask for the boat ride, shooting gloves and light mask for the hunt, two boxes of shells, calls, camera, powerade, and still dont have the bag full. Plenty of small pockets for extra stuff.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:01 am

I have been through the blind bag thing and paid big bucks for one from Cabelas. Supposidly water proof (ha! ha!), with all the fancy pockets and zippers and crap. I now use a $6.00 army surplus gear bag. This thing is made from heavy reinforced rubber , 100 % water proof from any kind of rain, and you can set the thing in 6" of water and not a drop will get inside.
I now use my fancy camo bag for storing hunting gear in at home.
Just something for you to consider. In a blind, boat or pit it's best to have 2 medium size bags rather than one big one.
Last edited by Jim Broadbridge on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby TXskilletwacker » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:59 am

if you are like some of my hunting buddies (i can sometimes be this way too), whatever you get still won't hold enough. even if you go big and have intentions of have enough room with some left over...i always fill 'er right ack up! :hammering:
if i could make a scented candle, i'd make call it... gunpowder in the sunrise! or wet dog, swamp mud and gun smoke!
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:09 pm

Get the smaller bag. I have a partner with a large bag and like the TXskilletwacker said, he fills it up. I could swear I am the bellman trying to take Whitney Houston's travel wardrobe to my blind when I load that thing on my ATV.

I use a shell-belt-fanny-pack-kind-of-thing. It has enough space and compartments to allow me to carry everything I need. If I am bringing extra stuff, like when we cook breakfast in the blind, I bring a soft side cooler. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:36 pm

Now, I don't own either fo the bags you are thinking about...but I will say this:

I have a smaller bag. It can carry 2-3 boxes of shells, calls, extra gloves and a hat (plus quite a few lil' things that don't need to take up space in this response). Sometimes it feels like I don't have enough room for all I'd like to carry.
My brother has a large bag. Double the mentioned gear above, and throw in a liner coat and gloves you have the basic size down,

Of the two of us, he'll wind up carrying more wieght. Often more than he really needed for some of those long hikes in. I would rather carry just enough essentials, than too many unnecessary items.

My .02. Hope it helps.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:15 am

Trois_beaux_canards

I am not being judgemental because I have been there before, but have you ever wondered why you are carrying 2-3 boxes of shells? I stopped doing that and now keep 12 - 15 shells in the fanny pack thingy, and the rest stay in the truck. I have never run out.

My partner always carries 40 - 50 shells, and he is a good shot and can kill a limit with 8 - 10 shots. Go figure. Old habits. :yes:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:02 am

The last blind bag I got was a Cabelas about 20 yrs. ago and I wasn't real fond of it so I don't use much. I checked out some web sites and wow there some neat stuff available now. I take back my comments I previously made concerning blind bags. The best one I seen to suit my needs are the ones by Drake. The pockets on the inside walls of the bag make a lot of sence to me.It will keep alot of the smaller things at your finger tips rather than digging through the bag looking for something small that usually find thier way to the bottom. Any way thanks for starting this post and educating me, I ordered a Drake of all the ones I checked out I think it is the coolest. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Huntw/Labs » Wed May 17, 2006 11:51 pm

I have a avery shell belt that holds 25 shells(a box) It has three zippers and I put chew in one, a couple of fruit bars in the other and leave the other open. I have mojo decoys and have bags instead of boxes to keep them in and the rest of my stuff, i do not need, fills up the rest of the bags. Blind bags are expense and get too heavy. If I need more then the 25 shells I am in big trouble and better go home. I live and die by the shell belts my buddies in ND turned me on to them. You dont have to worry about shells falling in the water and are very nice for quick reloads.
Huntw/Labs
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri May 26, 2006 9:19 pm

I have the pit bag, but I also play host to people when I'm hunting. If it's just you go small, if you hunt with Kids or newbies go big.
tstrong
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum