new jacket

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

new jacket

Postby harvey1b » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:09 am

I'm in the market for a new duck hunting jacket. I have heard of one that has a built life jacket. I'll be using the jacket for hunting on the water so the life jacket would be good, but I also want to use it for field hunting geese and would want to be able to take that part out.

Any ideas on jackets you guys prefer and have had good luck with would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:23 pm

Columbia Jackets are by far the best jackets I have ever used. They do not have the built in life jacket though.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:16 pm

Check out Drake's, they have a good website. I just got the 4 in 1 wader jacket and I couldn't be happier. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:11 am

thanks guys.

Jim - I was worried that the wader jacket would be too short if I didn't have waders on. Have you had and troubles with that? My only reference is fishing wader jackets that would definately be too short.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:01 pm

harvey1b !! No not at all,If anything I wish it was a little shorter. The wader jackets offer so much more freedom of movement I'll never go back to wearing a Parka. Nothing bothers me more than tucking a parka inside my waders, when you stand up to shoulder your gun you gotta pull that entire coat up inside the waders with the shoulder movement, especially for overhead shots. I do believe it is also warmer to wear the jacket on the outside of your waders. the Drake wasn't the first wader jacket I have had. I bought a cheaper one from Cabelas a few years back just to make sure I would like it and for the money it was a great little jacket but it dosen't come close to the Drake. The Drake has so many added bonus features it is just an awesome jacket and I would recommend checking it out. The Drake is about 4" longer than the one from Cabelas.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:51 pm

thanks Jimbo! Do you work for Drake? You sold me. I'll go check it out.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby BenelliNV » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Do u guys know of any good hunting jacket brands that are insalated yet waterproof so when i walk out in my waders and water splashes up i dont get so dang wet
BenelliNV
hunter

Postby super_mag » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:59 pm

cabelas brush buster it the way to go they'll take anything you can throw at them. rain sleet thorns burrs if you get some water splashed on you you will stay dry. i wont buy any thing else i like mine better than drake and columbia and all others.
Luke
super_mag
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:44 pm

Whitewater all the way :thumbsup:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Dogman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:52 pm

My Gamehide 4-1 parka in Hush hide is very comfortable and waterproofed.Costs about 150$.Good jacket.Waterproofing is usually added to it by treating it at the factory,most waterproof jacket like these are treated.Every year you need to reapply some waterproofing.Spray on stuff at a local sporting goods store will work well.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Wilsona018 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:35 pm

ive got a redhead 4 in 1 wader jacket and its really warm and ive sat through a couple of bad rainy days where it was just a down pour....my buddies got wet but i was still dry and warm...its a good length and plenty of pockets, and a removable game bag and removable reversable insulated coat inside.

but it doesnt have the built in lifejacket though

but anyways i couldnt be happier with it, and after i got mine, two of my buddies went and bought one themselves...we all couldnt be happier with um

...and the last time i looked basspro had them on sale
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:32 pm

I don't work for Drake, but can also say they work very well. I have a coat and Wader Tec -they hold up very well. The only bad thing is the coat is too warm to wear through most of the season!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:15 pm

Just for the record No I don't work for Drake. :smile:
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum