waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

waders

Postby BHUNTER » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:47 pm

what do you tipically wear underneath your waders? :umm:
BHUNTER
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:47 pm

sweat pants usually. Unless were hunting what we call the channel blind then ill slip some hunting bibs under.
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:24 pm

Most of the year I just wear blue jeans, but when its cold I wear a pair of expedition weight fleece bottoms.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby 870 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:13 pm

Blue jeans, what else? Ok when it gets really cold, maybe some long johns under the jeans. The last time I tried to wear a pair of those fancy smancy store bought bloomers they wear under their waders, I about got laugh out of the boat, and it was my boat. So I’m back to wearing jeans :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby puddlerjumper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:39 pm

Doesn't matter who's laughing at you when they are cold because of the perspiration condensing in their denim jeans, and you are nice and warm and dry in your fleece.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 pm

We dont have to worry about being cold due to perspiration or being cold period very often. We normally take our boots with us so that when we get ready for the boat ride back to the truck we wont burn up. There have been several times when I have worn shorts under my waders.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:52 pm

you lucky dog... even with the thick waders with the 1600 gram thinsulate boots, we still freeze.... i usually wear some longjohns, sweatpants, two pairs of socks, and if its really cold another pair of longjohns... maybe some more socks and foot warmers... might as well put on some more socks just incase
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:54 pm

I wish it would get cold sometimes. We have our moments, but they darn sure aint this year. It will be cold in the morings sometimes, but once the sun comes up its time to shed some clothes.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby puddlerjumper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:00 pm

If you are still freezing, no matter how cold the water is, you can be warm. If you are wearing "long johns" and sweat pants, and the long johns you speak of are the typical wal-mart, fruit of the loom cotton thermals, then that is your problem. Cotton does not insulate when wet, by sweat or water. I've had my hip waders swamped, and I'll be wearing blue jeans and fleece wader pants under them, and I'll have my jeans soaked, but after a little bit, my fleece is either dry, or is wet, but warm, either way, it still insulates. Fleece is fast drying, unlike cotton. If you haven't tried it, I strongly reccomend spending 35 bucks and getting you a pair of basic fleece wader pants, and you will not regret it, mine have lasted three seasons. And the good thing is, you don't sweat in them, they are excellent at wicking moisture away and transferring it. You will NEVER find me hunting ANYTHING without my fleece pants on. In dove season I wear them, because it keeps me from sweating like a dog. I took the liner out of my Columbia Omni-Tech and replaced it with a Fleece Jacket that had the zippers to convert it into a liner jacket. I've worn it in 65 degree temps and it's always comfortable. Under that on the cold days, I wear a fleece vest. The key to real warmth is in your feet though. Stop double and triple layering your gold toe tube socks, and spend a little money and buy you some real nice cabelas outfitter series socks. I bought the heaviest socks I could find, they were about 8 mm thick. They are Merino Wool, with spandex so they don't slide down, under those, I have a basic over the calf poly propylene liner. This is the same situation, from dove, to duck, to deer, to the spring snow goose season, to turkey, you'll always find me wearing this combo of socks. I even wear them when I'm running the Well routes. I usually secure the fit with a pair of neoprene ankle garters. You will thank yourself for buying this stuff next season when you are comfortable enough to be out there all day long. Because I always am.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:03 pm

Fleece is wonderful, I agree with you about that 100%

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:04 pm

yeah i'll have to try some fleece pants... as for socks i just bought some fleese/wool blend so i think i'll be set for next year... im not sure what my other ones were made of... some kind of blend of.... well... something
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby puddlerjumper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:06 pm

I'm excited to see if you'll still be freezing next year, because I've hunted some awful cold water with that combo. I've hunted nodak with 1000g 5mm waders and stayed toasty when the water was freezing around us. I hunted down here and was breaking ice in my 2 ply hip waders with 200 grams insulation with that combo and never got cold. Good luck!
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:19 pm

Fleece pants are the way to go.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:53 pm

Well Im in Texas and it doesnt get that cold here. I wore just my underwear in my waders like 5 times this year and still was sweating my butt off. Opening weekend it was 60 when I woke up, however that was the best morning of the season. I have 3mm neopreme waders. The most Ill wear in them is a pair of cheap sweat pants. We had a few days this year down to about 22 or so. Ice was about an inch thick on about 10 acres of our 18 acre duck pond. I never got cold at all. The coldest Ive hunted in was 6 degrees. I forgot when that was. I wish it would get cold more often down here. Im tired of sweating.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

thank you

Postby BHUNTER » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:23 am

i did not realize how warm waders are, thank you for the information. :thumbsup:
BHUNTER
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum